Oregon Newt Lifespan

newtons13

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the expected lifespan of the California/Oregon/Rough skinned newt?

(Side question: What is the common anme most recognized for this newt, so i don't feel the need to type all that again? = ) )

Thanks!

I think the most commonly used name is "Rough-skinned newt" and I think they can live for 20 or more years, if the owner is lucky.

Around here, most people know the scientific names (Taricha granulosa), which is the most precise way to identify an animal.

I have had mine for 8 years, but of those eight years, they've only been properly cared for 1 year now.

WOW! I had no idea! That's scary and awesome at the same time. 20 years!!! :D

Thank you for the scientific name, I've seen it all over, but never really realized it was the same. I will probably just keep using rough skinned newt, easier to remember.

I hear ya with the good care thing, my newts have been with me almost 1 year, and before that were... well lets say less than cared for. The other people tried, but...

So then, do they get a lot bigger than what I have. Nose to tail probably slightly less than the lenght of my hand. Maybe 5"? They havent gotten longer since I've had them.

Thanks again! Good to know. I really hope I can do well by them and give them an artificially natural long life. = )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back