Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

'Glimmer sand'

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Try emailing them and asking what the sand and glitter are composed of.

oceanblue

Reaction score
The web site of the wholesaler is http://www.crystalcolours.co.uk but while some of the products are supposed to be inert when wet I cannot see the glitter mentioned except in floral decorations.

The question is does the aluminium in the glitter and whatever protective coating it has pass unharmed through an axolotls digestive tract?

You could try asking them if it is safe for bottom feeding fish and other animals!

FOG

Reaction score
I think just to be safe I'll give the glitter a miss. Any thoughts on just the plain colorued sand?

oceanblue

Reaction score
Its always a bit of a gamble but they are probably OK. Several tanks in the galleries use coloured sand to create different effects. There is no harm in asking is the sand silica based? It is even possible the glitter is glass based. If they are prepared to tell you what their products are they may find a new market.

FOG

Reaction score
I've emailed them asking about the glitter, and if it's silica based. Bit of a dumb question, do I need it to be silica based or not? I don't really have a clue about sand, as you can probably tell! Also, 4ft x1ft brand new clearseal tank, £20, does this sound right? Saw it on a website earlier and it seems a bit cheap to me.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I suggested silica based because that is what most european sand is. It could be coral sand, which makes the water more alkaline and very hard (although axolotls do not normally mind alkaline hard water if the ammonia is kept under control.) Coral sand takes dyes easier than silica sand but I think most coloured sands are silica based.

It is also possible that it is something else ground up. Some of the other products on these websites are ground or crushed glass rather than a "natural" particulate which is sand. I've seen ground plastic described as sand for craft use!

Some of the products on the site are very odd. Its not suitable for axolotls but what would a tank with floating gravel look like :confused:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1