Question about Red Spotted Newts

Denikar

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have three Red Spotted Newts, Notophthalmus viridescens, in the red eft stage. I have them in a 10-gallon setup shown here:
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=1652

All three are doing well and eat blackworms like there is no tomorrow. Question is how will I know when they are about to morph to an aquatic adult? I mean, I realize they will gradually turn a greenish color, their tail will widen, etc. but will they need to find a roomy water source first, before they begin morphing? Do I need a large water source other than a small water dish in there all the time? I'm worried they will not morph or will stress out if the time comes and their water home isn't ready.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Even as adults they like there land! They will start getting darker before they turn green!

I have three Red Spotted Newts, Notophthalmus viridescens, in the red eft stage. I have them in a 10-gallon setup shown here:
http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/index.php?n=1652

All three are doing well and eat blackworms like there is no tomorrow. Question is how will I know when they are about to morph to an aquatic adult? I mean, I realize they will gradually turn a greenish color, their tail will widen, etc. but will they need to find a roomy water source first, before they begin morphing? Do I need a large water source other than a small water dish in there all the time? I'm worried they will not morph or will stress out if the time comes and their water home isn't ready.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

What I would do is leave their set-up as is. When they become darker toward green, then set them up in a very rocky shallow water set-up. Here you can experiment with food choices, and determine what foods they'll take in a semi-aquatic state. Once your efts are routinely observed in the water and are comfortable there you should begin to increase water depth. Pay close attention to their behavior for a while so as to spot stressed individuals. Lastly, this is my fav species and I have worked w/ them my entire life.

Keep in mind the eft stage can last 2-7 years!

Thanks all for the advice. I will keep you posted, if you're here 2-7 years from now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back