Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Subforum

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi,

I really do not want this to sound like nitpicking, so please forgive me in advance if it does.

When I am looking for a species in the "Species, Genus & Family Discussions" subforum, I pretty much have to read through each of the subsection titles to find what I am looking for. Is there already a logical order to the list and I just don't understand it? Or perhaps they could be alphabetized by their common names (as those are what appear first) or their Latin names (which would be more helpful for me, since I often first hear of an animal in German)?

Certainly there are other, more important tasks, but it sure would shorten my search:find time.

-Eva

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no logic to it but neither are the names standardised/of one type. I'm not sure there is a way to easily resolve this because by making all of the names scientific we risk confusing a large portion of the users on the site. Conversely, some groups/species are known more by their scientific name than their common names.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
By the way, I would welcome other opinions on this.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
There is no logic to it but neither are the names standardised/of one type. I'm not sure there is a way to easily resolve this because by making all of the names scientific we risk confusing a large portion of the users on the site. Conversely, some groups/species are known more by their scientific name than their common names.

I'm sorry, I must have been unclear. I didn't mean to remove descriptions from the forum titles. I just meant to sort them - leave them as they are, with the various common names, but alphabetize them by the Latin name (for example).

Gosh I hope someone else even has an opinion on this; I'm feeling like a nitpicker now. :eek:

-Eva

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it either way. However there are at least 3 subforums that I can remember that include the Latin name for more than one species so I am not sure how you would go about that situation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1