Stringy see through tail???Is my loxie ill??

Charlottekay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 2 axolotls which i keep in 2 seperate tanks, due to the fact that one of them doesnt seem to like to the filter and they fight. I have noticed though that both have developed an almost see through bit on the end of their tails with a black bit on the end..does anyone have any ideas what this could be??? the photos not very good but you can see it.

Attachments

• DSC00102.JPG
    DSC00102.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 566
Hi Charlottekay,

Water quality is most important to an axolotl's health. Could you advise us as to your water parameters (Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate/PH and Water Temperature)?

Also, what are you feeding the axolotls? If both axolotls are losing pigment in their tails but are in seperate tanks then the food is something they both have in common and is worth looking at - it may be caused by some sort of deficiency in their diet? (I'm making this a question as I don't know if this would be a cause or not).

What size are the tanks?

These details will give us something to work with to find out what could be up with your axies. :happy:

It could be that the tips of the tail have been damaged in some way. My male has done something similar with his tail on a few occasions, and I suspect his might be down him getting it 'sucked' into the filter intake. I tend to keep a close eye for any indication of infection...if you see any cotton wool like growth it could be fungus that may well need treating with salt baths..and make sure you are not lax with tank maintenance. In Jeffreys case it tends to heal up nicely before he does the same thing again!:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back