over-wintering

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
Is it healthy for newts and salamanders to be forced to hibernate when coming from a captive bred situation? Even if never exposed into adulthood?

I'm really not sure what you mean by "never exposed into adulthood".

Newts and sals don't really have a true hibernation, although people often use the word hibernation to refer to a cold period. I think all should be exposed to cooler temperatures during winter, for a variety of reasons. How much cooler, and whether this requires any special effort on the part of the keeper, depends on the species involved and how cool of a room they are kept in.

I'm really not sure what you mean by "never exposed into adulthood".

Newts and sals don't really have a true hibernation, although people often use the word hibernation to refer to a cold period. I think all should be exposed to cooler temperatures during winter, for a variety of reasons. How much cooler, and whether this requires any special effort on the part of the keeper, depends on the species involved and how cool of a room they are kept in.

What I meant by "never exposed into adulthood", is some people keep there sals all year 'round indoors from the time of metamorph. 'til adulthood w/out ever "over-wintering there animals. My real question was: If an animal has never been allowed to experience the low temps of winter and is suddenly placed in that situation, can it have ill effects? I have a few pairs of diff. species that i'd like to try to stimulate to breed, but I don't know if they've even experienced one winter chill?

If we take breeding every year to be a sign of perfect health, then there are certainly some species that are in perfect health with only a temperature drop into the lower 60s F. From the way I look at this, these animals ARE "overwintered", even though they are kept indoors. They are getting the reduced temperature that they need to be fully healthy. Make sense?

On the other hand, there are species that will not breed unless they are taken to lower temperatures than what is typical indoors. Some people do this using a cold basement, or an unheated room. Some accomplish this by housing the animals in a garage or shed. Some use the refrigerator, but I'm not a big fan of this method.

I don't think it matters whether the animals you have were never previously exposed to a winter chill. You should get them cooler this coming winter. How MUCH cooler depends on what species we are talking about. The normal temp in your house may be sufficient.

If we take breeding every year to be a sign of perfect health, then there are certainly some species that are in perfect health with only a temperature drop into the lower 60s F. From the way I look at this, these animals ARE "overwintered", even though they are kept indoors. They are getting the reduced temperature that they need to be fully healthy. Make sense?

On the other hand, there are species that will not breed unless they are taken to lower temperatures than what is typical indoors. Some people do this using a cold basement, or an unheated room. Some accomplish this by housing the animals in a garage or shed. Some use the refrigerator, but I'm not a big fan of this method.

I don't think it matters whether the animals you have were never previously exposed to a winter chill. You should get them cooler this coming winter. How MUCH cooler depends on what species we are talking about. The normal temp in your house may be sufficient.

Thank you very much! I keep many diff. species and their origins(captive bred vs wild caught) are not known. My Eastern Newts are wild caught as well as my two-lined sals, but I have a Paddle-tailed, an Emperor, Chinese Fire-bellied, Giant Fire-bellied, and a Tiger salamander, all of which origin is in question. Any experience with these?

Giant Fire-bellied?

Sorry, maybe I should clarify...Giant Fire-belly Newt is a generic term used in the sale of this species where I am from. The "real name for this species is Paramesotriton Hongkongensis, and it is considered widely as a Warty Newt, or Hong Kong Fire-belly.

My Eastern Newts are wild caught as well as my two-lined sals, but I have a Paddle-tailed, an Emperor, Chinese Fire-bellied, Giant Fire-bellied, and a Tiger salamander, all of which origin is in question. Any experience with these?
Unless you got them as juveniles from a breeder, all of these are wild-caught.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back