My axy sometimes sicks up food parcels

MissBehave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
MissBehave
Am I over feeding? He seems very happy despite this :)

The answer is probably yes. It's hard to get the quantity of feed right sometimes. Try cutting feed size a bit and if you think that isn't enough for your axolotl feed it more often.

Sometimes it seems to be a response to too big a portion which it cannot digest. I had one axolotl which at about 12 cm would regurgitate whole worms but eat half worms at two hourly intervals!

Hi MissBehave,

I agree with Oceanblue - it is touch and go to find out what your particular axolotl's 'eating habit' will be and what will work for that axie.

Axolots will regurgitate their food if the portion sizes are too big for them, or if they have eaten enough and can't fit another morsel in...I tend to think the latter as I have never met an axolotl who will not eat and eat and eat if you let them... ;)

Another guide to ascertain if you are over or under feeding is to monitor the axie's belly. The belly should be about as wide as the head at the head's widest point - plump but not obese.

Hope this helps!

Cheers Jacq.

Thanks, he is a little greedy thing! I feed him pinkies, just not sure how often I should really.

He is a very strange one, put my hand in and he swims over and nuzzles my hand with his head like a ***** cat :eek:

I feed my axolotls about 2 pinkies a month. Because pinkies are really dense in nutrition, they can cause obesity if fed all the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back