Salamandra identification.

marco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Marco Ferrigno
Hello guys and girls. i've got a few pictures of my fire salamanders that i would like to be identified if possible.As far as im aware, these are s.s.terrestris, but theres so much conflicting indentification material on the net that its hard to identify different salamandra localities.

08092008548.jpg

08092008552.jpg

first are these terrestris with an inconsistent line along there backs.

and then i have these terrestris with a nearly complete set of lines down their backs.

08092008550.jpg

as far as i am aware they are terrestris, but theres so many photos labeld terrestris that range from lightly spotted to heavily banded individuals that resemble gigliolli's...

thanks for reading.

defenatly not giglioliis

Hi Marco

I wouls say they are all Terrestris, i found Terrestris with more lines like your last pic, towards the French/Spain border, and that they were marked like Fastuosa, although they were more stocky,not streamlined.

Ben

They're all terrestris. You're just lucky to have some with complete or nearly complete lines.

Sorry,
forgot to add, very nice specimens you have.!!!!!

Right well thats the response from the deffinative online resource so i'll go with that, went to the Doncaster show (UK) and bought my self 5 S.S.Bernadazi so they should make a nice breeding project in a few years (imagine if they all end up beings males:rolleyes:.)

thanks people.

S. s. terrestris for sure.

I can´t help but think that they look just like some fastuosas i´ve seen.

For a while i did think they were fautosa and i have seen some CB fautosa that were shockingly similar, but they gave away the fact that their not fautosa by giving birth to larvae and not fully formed young.

So as not to clog up the forum with more identification threads, I'll post here.

I recently aquired a pair of Algerian fire salamanders and a young pair of Terrestris as well.

How ever upon closer inspection i noticed that one of the Terrestris had tiny amounts of red around its paratoid glands and rear legs. none of my other Terrestris have any red in them and so im wondering if its a differnt locality to my others. I know theres red and orange colour variants of Terrestris but i havent seen Terrestris with just a little speckling of red before.

gergen.jpg

19092008590.jpg

19092008589.jpg

thanks for reading.

Personally I've never seen a terrestris with both red and yellow. That's not to say that it cannot occur but to the best of my knowledge all terrestris are bicolour, not tricolour. There's something not right with the body plan of that salamander you've got in the photos - I can't put my finger on it but the shape seems odd to me. I wonder if it's got algira or something else in it.

Fastuosas do give birth to larvae. It´s the bernardezis who usually (not always) give birth to fully formed young. Though fastuosas can do so, they will normally lay larvae.

Ahah! I have reliable information from Dartfrog.co.uk, they are CB but originally their parents came from...

The terrestris are from a region of the Loire Valley around St.Gaultier.
Im not the best with Geography but I get the feeling thats some were in France? Its deffintely got red in it, though its only the tinest bit around the parotoids and the 'hips' on its rear legs. The other one how ever, which comes from the same area, doesnt appear to have any red.

They are a little on the thin side I admit, so that might be whats making their proportions seem inproportionate. I also got an adult pair of S.S.Algira too.:p

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say they are pure terrestris. I have seen tri-color terrestris with red mottling from the Black Forest in Germany so it is not out of the question.

Travis

Hello,

How ever upon closer inspection i noticed that one of the Terrestris had tiny amounts of red around its paratoid glands and rear legs. none of my other Terrestris have any red in them and so I'm wondering if its a different locality to my others. I know there's red and orange colour variants of Terrestris but i havent seen Terrestris with just a little speckling of red before.

I´ve seen some terrestris with amounts of red around the parotids, have a look at my Homepage; here is one example:
http://www.triturus.de/feuersalamander/ST131.jpg

I´m nearly sure, that your animal is a terrestris.
@ John: If you mean Salamandra algira algira, it´s much more spotted than banded (like this one is)

Greetings, Ingo

Thank you for posting Inshi, that is exactly like my Terrestris. Thank you everyone for helping in clearing up this Identification matter.

Marco.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back