Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi, my poor clawed frogs

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to post a few pics for my 4-5 year old females. I have 6 (bought 4 of them as tadpoles and 2 were givin to me as froglets) but the site failed to say they need 10 gallons (or have been misinformed on that too!) each. :mad: I have them all in a 30 gallon long though and aren't sick. I have called all the pet stores in my area but no one will take such old girls cause they only sell froglets and I can't fit another 30 gallon in my house. (or afford) :( Here is the pic any way!

Picture117.jpg

Jake

Reaction score
Depending how often you're doing water changes, or how well your filter works, I don't think you'll need 10 gallons per frog. That rule would seem realistic with the adults because they get pretty big, but frogletts would require much less water. I've kept them in shallow tubs of water with daily water changes and no ill effects.

Your gravel at the bottom of the tank is also way too small for them. They are almost definitely slowly eating it which could lead to intestinal compaction. Remove it as soon as possible and either keep them on a bare bottom, sand or gravel twice as big as their heads (bare bottom is the cleanest).

keechoo

Reaction score
How big are they? I have 2 four year olds in a 20 gallon and they are about 5 inches long. I think right now you'd be okay but once they get larger you might need more room. Also, I personally believe that if they are kept in a small tank, their growth gets stunted. My 2 were in a very small tank and the size of a quarter but once moved, they quickly grew.

Also, from what I read the 10 gallon rule is for the first frog but in a 20 gallon you can keep 3. How many you can keep in a 30 gallon, I don't know.

luvmycreatures

Reaction score
I keep four comfortably in a 30 gallon, I just change water and filter more often. I wouldn't keep more than that, as it is I'm probably pushing it. If you need to place them feel free to email me, I'm in Western, MA Luvmycreatures@gmail.com I always have room for ACFs I love them. I got a grow a frog kit when they first came out in 1979-1980 and I've been hooked since.

antcatcher11

Reaction score
Ok, I will remove the rocks. Can clawed frogs throw up the anything they can't digest? So my clawed frogs will be fine in that size tank? I am using a 50 gallon tank filter and it is perfect for them. To bad someone unplugged it this morning! I tried restarting it but, the motor wouldn't keep running. I just cleaned it 2 days ago to! Now I think I have to get a new one. :(

amkid247

Reaction score
i had two froglets in a ten gallon, they grew to their adult sized in that very tank. i had them for years as a child. they were healthy and happy until their last days. but i would recommend more room per frog. i think i saw a rule being ten gallons for the first frog, and then five more gallons for the next. so two frogs would be best in a 15 gallon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1