I have too many axolotls, are they worth much?

Kellybishop

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have had a read around but havn't really found anything on the value of Axolotls.
My problem is that my sister gave my eggs from her pair of Axolotls because she new how i really wanted an Axolotl or two. However they all have hatched and are growing bigger each day! (all about 100 of them)

What are these amazing animals worth if i tried to sell them, or should i just give them away?
I really just want them to have a good home not just a home.
I just need a little help with the direction i should be heading and do i sell or just give them away to any joe blog. :confused:
xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I have to many axolotls, are they worth much.

Alright, I'll let you in to my secret money making scheme that may one day be implemented. I was personally going to sell the babies to pet shops once they reach about 2-3cm in size for about 50c to $1 each. They can then sell them for like, $4. Who can resist a tiny, baby axolotl? I would however make sure that the customer would be given the right information and access to a food supply that could be purchased from the said petshop. Hmm...

The only way I can imagine that would make axolotls profitable would be to raise hundreds of them, and have facilities large enough to culture their food, too. Considering what I was spending to feed the larvae, it would be impossible even to begin to recoup the investment. Another alternative would be to sell the eggs, but I reckon that's too late for you now, eh, Kelly? :rolleyes:

The going rate here in Germany is 1 euro per centimeter of axolotl length. Adults in pet shops cost around 20 euros each, at least here in Berlin.

Incidentally, it is best to let the axolotls be at least 12 cm (5 inches) before giving them to a new owner; this greatly increases their chance of survival.

-Eva

Last edited:

Thanks for that.
I don't mind not making a profit from my gorgeous babies. However if there is profit to be made and my babies need a safe home, why not.
I feel if people are paying any amount for them then i know that they really want them and will care for them.
I mite try the local pet stores and also a notice or to in the paper.
I just had no idea of what to charge if selling and who to.
Thanks again
xx

Indeed - the art of pricing is "what the market will bear". You could try starting at a thousand and work your way down... :lol:

-Eva

Just note that there's not much of a demand. Usually once you've sold a couple, that's all the market demand there is. That is, not many people want them, so once those handful of people buy them, no one else is going to. I usually end up giving mine away.

Just suck people in by calling them 'baby dinosaurs' lol. Whoever came up with that must of made a fortune hehe

Re: I have too many axolotls, are they worth much.

I bought my two of the trading post. they are juveniles and where born in Dec 07 to Jan 08 and where worth 18 dollars each.

If selling them online or the paper include a very high quality picture of the best looking ones, or one of each colour in a tank together with some nice clean water and maybe make a comment about easy food and low matnence.

But the price is really up to you, if you have spent a fourtune on live food and water tests you probally want to match the money you spent on raising them.

Also, it sounds like you a a bit worried about 'who' buys them, if it was me I wounld not give them to someone that was trying to force it to morph or walk ect.

To try and prevent it just ask them a few general questions about keeping them:
How big is your tank?
have you aged your tank yet?
have you got a water test kit?
what will you feed them?
AND MAKE IT CLEAR THEY CANT LIVE, WALK, OR BREATHE OUT OF WATER AS THIS IS A COMMON MISCONCEPTION

Re: I have too many axolotls, are they worth much.

Ask around at local pet stores animal parks etc they may want to but them there are also alot for sale on trademe most of the time it a good way to judge there price my local pet pet store buys them for 10 dollars and sells them for 20 or 30 dollars it pays to look around

Hay thanks everyone!
well just so you know there a mix of very dark and then also white(pictures on my profile if you would loke a look). Some of them look very spot or have a few dark markings. However nothing to different, but still wish i could keep every single one of them :). They are still just over 2cm so colours mite show more in a few weeks.
Thanks for all your help.
xx

i was given about 50 eggs from a mate that works in an aquarium over 2 months ago...now i have about 14 juvenile between 4-6cm long. I approached a local aquarium because soon i wont be able to keep them in the tank that they are in due to size restriction. Ive heard that unless they are over 10cms they wont pay for them...

I believe it is a good idea to wait until they are at least 12 cm long before giving them to anyone else so that they are stable enough to survive the stress.

-Eva

Yes I think the size will be a good idea. I have managed to get my hands on a few diferent size tanks so i will try keep them for as long as possible. Really don't want to get attached though :D. However thanks for all your help if any New Zealanders are interested there will be a few going free to a good home, just let me know. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back