Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: a little worried?

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Hello again,

I recently moved my beautiful baby Squishy to her new home in my dorm room at college.

Everything has been going great, she eats her worms, my boyfriend makes faces at her, she swims around, hides in her flower pot, digs in the sand, and is just generally her normal pleasant self.

The other night however, my boyfriend pointed out that she seems to have weird whitish markings near her gills, I can't get a picture because I don't have my camera up here and my camera phone is missing its SD card.

However to try to explain...

If you are looking straight on at her head, her gills are pink and fluffy and look fine, her face looks fine but almost where I would say her cheek bones or temples would be, very close to the base of the gills there are tiny white marks. It doesn't appear to be fungus and I am really not sure if it is anything to worry about at all.

Just wondering if this is a normal coloring on her or if I should start to panic now?

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
She is leucistic, so she is normally a very light color, I guess my boyfriend only noticed because she had been playing and she was very flushed from all the activity.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I know in juveniles, because they're so translucent, you can often see organs and bones through the skin. It may be that you're just seeing parts of her skull through the skin, which shows up better when she's pinker.

FOG

Reaction score
If it helps my Squishy has always had like a white 'H' sort of shape on her hear that kind of shiny. I'm guessing its just normal markings.

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Yea the more I look at it the more I think it is just a natural marking, if it changes or anything I will try to get a picture. She seems fine, she eats like a maniac and is very happy go lucky about life. Thanks for the advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1