Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi all

fignewton

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I'm not really new here, I joined a while back but haven't been active so I thought a reintroduction would be good. My name is Emily. Between my boyfriend and I we have a dog, cat, 2 geckos, 3 beareded dragons, an assortment of squirrels (I do wildlife rehab,) a salamander, a newt, a betta and a snail (do snails count as a pet? idk... lol. but i feel bad not to mention him!) I've had newts on and off for years. The newt I have now I've had for about 6 months. His name is Patrick and he lives in an aquarium with the betta and snail. I've heard bad stories about mixing species, so I chose something that I hoped was big enough that Patrick wouldn't try to eat - but docile enough not to bother him. Betta seemed a perfect fit. They get along, and even will lay near each other (bettas do rest on the rocks.) I've considered adding another fish or two, but don't wanna press my luck!! They also had a small female crab living with them, but she died a few weeks ago. Again with that, there was no aggression between any of the creatures. My salamander is an Eastern Tiger. I got him from a reptile store near by, after being on the look out for TWO years. Apparently waterdogs are unheard of as fishing bait here, so he was hard to come by. I've named him Marley, and I've had him only a few days. Marley lives in a ten gallon and seems to like it so far.
So that's me!

oregon newt

Reaction score
A betta isn't a very good choice for a tank mate. Bettas are very solitary animals. They shouldn't even be housed with most fish. You're probably stressing it and your newt. Not to mention the arrangement may work now, but then one day, you will see your newts toe missing. You may or may not think much of it, but guess what the cause is. The Betta. There are two accounts here with bettas http://caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml#id30 And that female crab is not a good choice either. Caudata.org/cc has many great articles and caresheets about newt care. And as for the betta, they are different from most fish and require special care, wjich is why I suggest you read this http://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

flatsco

Reaction score

fignewton

Reaction score
Patrick doesn't have a crab with him anymore, but the one that was in there was a very small female and she was not aggressive to him at all. I won't be getting another one for Patrick's tank, but if I did I would NEVER get a male. A male would definately be a danger I think.

The betta isn't in with Patrick either, although it's not because of any problems between them. I moved him into our community tank the other day after I cleaned and rearranged Patrick's tank. I know many people say that bettas are aggressive and should only be kept alone, but in my own experience I've never had a betta be aggressive or attack another fish, frog or anything. The only thing they seem to get upset about is other bettas... don't know why. But in either case, the betta isn't in there but the snail still.
Emily

oregon newt

Reaction score
The bettas or other fish may get along for a while, but it is a ticking time bomb. All it takes is the betta to be in a bad mood for it to turn into a disaster. Plus, alot of fish will nip their fins. Bettas don't really like company.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!