Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axy wont eat :(

axygirl20

Reaction score
Hey people
I have 2 "male" axolotls and 1 of them wont eat.
There in a 4 ft tank, with medium sized pebble substrate, plants and a large hiding place.
When i first got them they had been feeding great on prawns, so thats what i started them off on. Suddenly 1 stopped taking the praws i was offering. (they have always been fed via tongs)
So i stopped on the prawns nd started on liver, this didnt work so off to blood worms, again not working. Every time food is offered he pulls away, even when its dropped near him. I'm planning on fridging him and hoping this will help.
Im sure its not the encosure or the water as both would be effected wouldnt they????
Hope someone can help me i love my babys

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Jodie,

As soon as I see the word "pebble", my Spidey sense starts tingling. If the pebbles are anything smaller than the size of the axolotl's head, the axolotl may swallow it. An axolotl's input end is capable of taking in much larger objects than its output end can release, which means that something undigestible like a pebble can get stuck somewhere in the digestive tract and cause a jam. This may be why your axolotl is not eating.

The other question I always have is, what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature)?

Is your axolotl exhibiting any other symptoms, strange behavior?

Can you perhaps post a picture of your tank?

-Eva

axygirl20

Reaction score
Heya yeah the pebbles are WAYYYY to big for their mouths, he's not really showing any other signs besides not eating and spending more time out the cave than in. I'm getting another "cave" tomorrow incase its stress related. I've been using auqarium salts as sugested by someone and it helped with gill colouration. Now its just the feeding, im 100% sure the problem isnt a swallowed pebble.
As for the nitrate and ammonia the last time i checked it was ok, just a thought but if it was something in the water wouldnt both be effected not just 1?
Thanks 4 feedback
J
xx

coichards

Reaction score
Hi. Axies have feelings you know, so I am suggesting that they like the shrimps better, its the same with mine as well; they go crazy for live food and are not as keen on dead or frozen stuff

blueberlin

Reaction score
How much salt do you have in the water? Do you rinse the prawns before feeding - they are frozen in salt water, too, right?

When was the last time you checked nitrate and ammonia? How often do you do water changes? How long have the axolotls been in this aquarium?

Axolotls are sensitive to a different degree so that it may not mean anything if only one is showing signs of stress (or whatever).

The pulling away sounds to me like he just doesn't like the food, but you've tried a few different things, so that's a bit confusing. Have you tried earthworms? Neither prawns nor liver are "natural" foods for axolotls - and I tried bloodworms once, and not a single one of my (at that time) 30 axolotls even nibbled at them. Of the 8 I have now, one does not like earthworms (he sniffs them a loooong time, but then pulls away), but the rest do.

Has he eaten by now?

-Eva

axygirl20

Reaction score
Heya Eva, Ive just put my axy in the fridge and with in 10 mins he had eaten a prawn :) im going to keep him in there for a day or two just to slow his motabolism down a bit. Am going to dig up the garden asap and try get worms before i put in back in the main tank with the other 1 i have
I'm getting a water testing kit tomorrow, though as ie said if it was that im sure both would be ill not just one.
And thanks coichards i am fully awear axys have feeling im not a complete novice! I've tried them on freeze dried shrimp as its really hard 2 get hold of live.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Hi Jodie,

Like I said, the one could just be more sensitive than the other. Please do let me know what the test results show.

-Eva

axygirl20

Reaction score
O.k now i am worried :( i put my axys in the fridge like every1 is telling me to, hes eaten 2 bits of prawn but his gills look bad now, there so white there almost the same colour as he is. There is only or 2 vets around that know what an axolotl is thou im not sure about any treatment or advice.
Do i leave him in the fridge or take him out and put him bck in the main tank?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If your little axolotl is relaxed his gills may well be paler. Let him chill for a while I am sure he will be fine.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Gills do usually look pale in the fridge; with the slowed metabolism and high oxygenation of the cooled water they hardly need any blood through them at all.

Let the axolotl chill out for a day or two. The gills will go back to red when you move it back to the tank. Intense red gills are sometimes a sign of poor water quality.

How much salt are you using in the water? 1g per litre is supportive but levels approaching 10g per litre are dangerous (applied for more than a few minutes) as the salt concentration is higher than in the axolotls blood and sucks water out of the bloodstream.

axygirl20

Reaction score
I have a vet appotiment monday with a amphibian and reptile specilist which in a way im looking forward to. I got a water testing kit though cant find my diary with the result in lol (laugh out loud) (unsure about which ph to consentrate on was given P.H and High P.H)
I've also gone out and got some crickets 2 try entise my axy to eat.
Once outta the fridge his gills have gone back to normal and he has eaten a bit. They havent been out at the mo so havent been able to try the crickets yet.
P.s thanks every1 who has helped me and 4 thoses who have given me advice, ive been worried im a bad mum but thanks 2 the few on here i can really open upto i no longer feel 100% responsible :D thanks u xxx

axygirl20

Reaction score
P.h is at 7.6 ( bit high i no) there was also a high P.h level (bit confused) this is at 8 (not sure what that is, was a different solution) ammonia is .25 per mg/l and there isnt any nitrate or nitrite. Any idea on lowering what needs to be lowered.

P.s Otto's had his crickets :D

axygirl20

Reaction score
I no ive posted twice already but i'm sp happy :D axel has just eaten a cricket :D wooop!
Going to take both 2 the vets with me get both looked at whilst i can.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A pH of 7.6-8 isn't high. I wouldn't worry about that in the least. Ammonia levels should be 0. Ammonia is toxic. I would do 20% water changes daily to keep ammonia down while your tank is cycling.

Good news on the cricket!

axygirl20

Reaction score
After £40 and 1 and a half hours with a specilist i can finally say my axy isnt ill because of me :) Apparantly my husbandry is brilliant and besides the weight loss both Axel and Otto are healthy.
I'm still trying to get over the whole ethical side of live food but there kind of hunting on their own wooop!
Th vet's said to insure that Axel doesnt miss any food, if he misses three "meals" then im to go back.
Thought i'd update people on my progrees

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1