Salamandra Habitats.

marco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Marco Ferrigno
There is a large international diversity on this forum, and I was wondering, those of you who live within Salamandra locality ranges, do you have any pictures of the habitats within which you encounter them?

'Im a big fan of naturalistic settings and enclosures and up until now I've been keeping my Salamandra localities in generic wood land style set ups. How ever I was wondering if any one had any more specific information on the natural habitats of these Caudates.

so far all i've found is http://caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40180&highlight=Salamandra+Habitats.

Thanks for reading.

Marco.

There u go

First one is from the western Alps, near Cuneo
Second from near Genova
Third from the northern Apennines
Fourth from Central Italy: Parco Nazionale D'Abruzzo

Ciao

Attachments

• piemonte.jpg
    piemonte.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 587
  • liguria.jpg
    liguria.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 510
  • tuscany.jpg
    tuscany.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 955
  • latium.jpg
    latium.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 2,514
When I lived in Dordogne, I used to find them in similar habitats that the one shown, deciduous woodlands, with a majority of oak and sweet chestnuts.

However I knew of a (now extinct :() population in a built-up area of Bordeaux that was living in a landscaped park, I could find them in a meadow area that was by a well-developed hedge (sorry I do not know all the species names in English, they was bay trees, hazelnuts, etc) in witch was the vernal pool they were breeding in. (The last time I saw a salamander there was about 7 years ago, I had a look two years ago and found that the pond was filled-in for health and safety reason by the boy scout brigade that used the park, thus destroying the population...)

Both populations were s. s. terrestris

That is a sad tale...

@ Franceschino - thanks for the photos, there very helpful. a very beautiful forest aswell.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back