Question: Living arrangements

FOG

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
aimee
A couple of weeks back I put my 2 axies together into one tank but with a partition down the middle. The younger ones finally catching up in size so I'm just asbout to take the divider out. Any advice on what to expect? Such as fighting, or nipping each other, etc? I don't want to come home from work later on to find them both looking very angry and missing a few limbs.

I did the same thing with my axies, and the tank divider collapsed while I was at work. I thought the worst, but they were fine together so I left them. So long as they are a similar size they should be fine.

I placed a divider in my tank to separate my axolotls when one was considerably bigger then the other. Once the divider was removed I left them to 'find' each other.
Even though they were aware of the others presence in the tank (divider was transparent) they still 'freaked out' when one touched the other.
This only lasted for an hour or so and then they settled.
I do have to feed them in separate parts of the tank though, as one is more dominant and tries to steal the others food.
They do take bites out of each other from time to time although I do find the lesser dominant seems to come off worst. Its never been any worse then a chunk of tail or a grazed toe.

Thats good then. I've been phoning home from work all evening to get my mom to check on them and tell me if they're ok. I don't think the older ones likes her new tankmate, her gills keep going forward when he comes near, he looks like he just wants to play, but she's not having any of it. Hopefully they'll settle down after a good feeding. As long as my water quality is ok, any missing body parts should heal fine shouldn't they?

Last edited:
Axies have amazing regenerative powers, so yes, anything bitten off will grow back. It may grow back different, for example, my axie grew its front leg back, but only with three toes, and the regenerated leg is quite a bit shorter than the other front leg, but it did grow back.

Both of mine had no limbs when i bought them, and the younger one only had 5 gills. The one has grown back all its limbs but only 2 toes on one foot. The youngest is still missing a gill. I was just checking it wouldn't harm them at all :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back