Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I got eggs!

JWERNER

Reaction score
OK first off I had some issues with my project and some newts I was receiving falling ill immediately after receiving them and dying so I have not been here for a long time since I decided at that time it would be best to put my project on hold and just go back to keeping instead of breeding.

A few months ago I had someone from work order me 2 Godzilla newts. At the time all I was keeping was a blue tail fire belly. I figured I could keep them together in my 40g and I never had any problems wit the mix of species. Well now today I go into the tank room to mess around and I see a white spot on a plant.

Yup its a egg!!! Mt first newt egg ever! It was attached to a huge type of sword that I have, one that stays low but gets huge!!

I stop everything I was in the middle of doing and went straight to devising my plan. I took a small zip lock container ( not bag ) and poked holes in it everywhere and I am placing it in the tank. I went through to see if I could find more and sure enough I did.

Now for some questions.

I really would like to keep the water conditions exactly the same and I don't have a extra tank setup and I sure cant set another up right now so will it be the best bet to keep this container in the tank with he holes in it or should I try a different method?

Can the eggs be removed from the leaves? I am really concerned about decay for some reason! Or should I not even worry?

I know this is not good at all but is it possible for them to have hybridized?

I'm almost certain they came from the blue tail. She had some bulges in her side and without even thinking about breeding again what so ever I was scared it was a tumor,... upon examining her I realized she had a swollen vent area ( sorry for lack of better words right now I'm in a brain fart ) and was red.

Last,.. I am assuming it is possible for them to lay infertile eggs. Am I correct in that assumption?

If keeping them in this container inside the tank is not good can someone make a good recommendation for someone not prepared at the moment?

Again this is not like I just decided to jump into breeding unaware of what the outcome could be. This was very unexpected so please leave all comments regarding me not being prepared aside.:D

JWERNER

Reaction score
OK so I just remembered I have a 55 liter sterilite I was not using so I added some water to it and I plan on transferring the newts eggs to it soon. I am waiting for the water temps to adjust to room temps and so forth.

Now I have noticed that some of the eggs have turned from white to a brownish color and some are kind of half and half ( I am sure they have been this way when I found them and doubt they changed that fast...just some FYI ). Is this common as they age or are they no good?

Please any feed back would be appreciated, I have been wanting to get into this for some time now and well just after I gave up it finally made its turn around for me so it means a lot that this don't go bad if it has a chance.

Thank you guys!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats!!

What are godzilla newts?

It's certainly possible for a first time layer to lay a bunch of duds...so I've heard, though Elektra didn't lay any duds that I saw.

Make sure you have an air bubbler in that egg container/tank.

Also, I wouldn't pull the eggs off the leaves. I cut my plants to shreds taking out the eggs; I just cut the parts with eggs off. I had (expensive) silk plants though. But who cares! I'd cut off my pinky for Elektra.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that godzilla is a pet shop name for warty newts (Paramesotriton).

The brown/white color is normal. In a week or so, you should be able to see if they are developing or not, due to shape changes. Look up some photos of developing eggs (there are some on CC), and you'll know what to look for.

Yes, it's possible to get infertile eggs.

And I know you've had no problems.... but I still wouldn't recommend keeping the warties with the cyanurus.

JWERNER

Reaction score
OK thanks guys! How about temps?

Also do I have a way to tell if they are not fertile yet?

Dawn, I actually took the eggs out of that smaller container and placed them in a 15g sterilite storage container. Do you still think I need air for that or is it ok as is. From what I read if I am reading correctly I shouldn't need air since I have a good amount of water.

Would I be best to just place them back in the container inside the tank they were laid in? The container had lots of holes in it and flow in the container was just visible which I figure would be what I want.

I used this method for fish before ad read about people using it for newts but I just cant decide if that is better or if the storage box is better.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'm not 100% sure if eggs need a bubbler, but I know eggs need oxygen and I've always used a bubbler with eggs. So we'll have to wait for someone who knows for sure.

JWERNER

Reaction score
BTW, the pair is supposed to be warty newts as said its a generic pet shop name but I am dead positive they are pyrrhogaster.

They are exactly like the ones I got last fall that did not make it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way to tell if they are fertile, unless you have a microscope. You just have to wait and see.

I would recommend keeping them as you were - in a container with holes inside the main tank. This way they won't need any bubbling or anything until they hatch.

Any chance that you could post photos? How large are the "godzillas" in total length?

JWERNER

Reaction score
I'm dying to post pics but my wife dropped the camera in the sand at the beach on vacation and we have yet to shell out the cash to get a new one.

I can search on a few storage site I use to see if I have any stashed away for some odd reason. I think I should but I'm not sure. Like I said, they are pyrrhogaster for sure.

They are adult size.

JWERNER

Reaction score
I have another question.

What is the purpose of the aeration? Is it for subtle filtration and surface agitation or do they actually need higher levels of oxygen?

Also, I'm very sorry about the pics, I cant find any of the pair that are worth posting. They are all blurry or don't have any way of showing size comparisons.

I will keep trying to get some pics up anyway. I am going to contact some friends today and see if I can get hold of a camera from one of them.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well you shouldn´t mix them...
If they are in fact C.pyrrhogaster, then perhaps agression is not a big concern, but still, mixing always comes with some risks...
I don´t know if they can actually hybridize, but i sure hope they can´t...hybrids are the last thing amphibian species need....

JWERNER

Reaction score
Thank you for the concerns but I would like to add that they are 100% pyrrhogaster! They look nothing like the "Godzilla newts" they were said to be and they have not grown to anywhere near the size. The physical characteristics are no where near identical to any that I have seen here or physically with my own eyes.

I also am sure that I am not the only one to mix species in a tank with the volume and foot print of 40 gallons! They are not aggressive and they have done fine in each others presence for sometime now. Also, I do feel bad with the fact that if they have hybridized they have a slim chance of surviving and I don't agree with all hybrids in the animal world but I also as a hobbyist of reptiles and fish can appreciate the beauty in some of these animals when confined to captive breeding!

Can I stay on the topic of the care for the eggs?

JWERNER

Reaction score
o548k4.jpg

w89ppv.jpg

x4onqt.jpg

2hx1wyr.jpg

2h4z2oz.jpg

2niz329.jpg

Take note to the shape of the heads and the tails especially in the snouts.

I wish I could get some better shots but my camera is shot and this is one I borrowed from a friend,.. note the time and date are off? Sorry I cant fix it.

The smaller one has some very nice yellow spots to it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would bet that the eggs are from the pyrrhogaster. Lovely pair.

JWERNER

Reaction score
Thank you!
Do they honestly look as if tehy are male & female?

Here is the C.Cyanurus. I wish I could get better belly shots.

ei5o2a.jpg

of8vib.jpg

crleq.jpg

2zgdo3k.jpg

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Jenn: These looks like your suspected Sasayame race newts....no?

Anyway, treat the water conditions for the egg the way you would for the adults. The hard part is when they come out of the water, so don't stress too much at this point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!