Question: Tiger Salamander nutrition questions!!

cloeypony

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok i adopted my salamander in April...at first he was stressed out so he didnt eat for like 3 days. Then when he started eating.. he ate 1-2 medium sized worms every other day, he would not eat everyday. he seems to be doing fine as he has grown quiet a bit since i got him and looks very healthy and active. As of lately "grissom" wont eat worms. i fed him a pinky which he thought was great. But i read somewhere that a solid diet of pinkies is bad bc of the milk or what not. im not sure how true that is or what but i dont wanna hurt him. he has a very hard time eating crickets as he cant catch them and then they die and bite him. i try and hold em with twizers but he doesnt like that. i was wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to what to feed him. im hoping he will go back to worms after some time off.... has me worried HELP PLEASE.
He's still eating good but im concerned as to what to feed him now that he wont eat worms

Pinkies should usually be fed occasionally as they are very fattening. And salamanders shouldn't be fed everyday. Maybe every 3 days. If he's not accepting the worms there are other food choices here http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml He might also be stressed. What is your set-up like? What temperature is it in there. Salamanders can go a very long time without eating so don't be too worried.

Thank you very much!!! i knew 3-4 days without food wasnt bad but longer than that i get worried. ive only given him 2 pinkies since april as i knew they werent the greatest to give him other than that its been worms. hopefully he will eat in the next couple days.

I have a Barred Tiger Sal, and he will eat large Crickets(I usually take off the back "jumping" legs-this makes them move slower and hard skeletal features are not easily digested), Wax worms-he loves them, but be warned they are mostly fat, decapitated "Super-Worms"(a very large mealworm of sorts), and of course earthworms. Note: I was told by a long-standing member that Petsmart worms are known for poor taste as well as nutritional quality. I don't know if you buy there, just thought I'd mention it...I have never tried them, but I hear great things about pheonix worms and their balanced nutritional base. They come in a variety of sizes and are said to be very good in the way of calcium. My mom uses the smallest version for her Dart Frogs and they love them. She found an online source, but I've never seen them sold at a standard pet shop on the street. Good luck!

Some earthworms (red wigglers/tiger worms/various common names) can secrete a noxious fluid (it's usually yellow), which smells and tastes bad. But if you go with the larger nightcrawlers, this usually isn't a problem. Like Will said, I wouldn't worry about feeding it so often. I feed mine 2-3 times a week at most. Once a week if they get a pinky.

Of course earthworms. Note: I was told by a long-standing member that Petsmart worms are known for poor taste as well as nutritional quality. I don't know if you buy there, just thought I'd mention it...Good luck!

Which is what I said last post...? Petsmart markets only "Red-Wigglers". The poor taste culprit of all the bad feedback. I recommended the earthworm, and advised against the poor tastig red-wiggler. Right?

Which is what I said last post...? Petsmart markets only "Red-Wigglers". The poor taste culprit of all the bad feedback. I recommended the earthworm, and advised against the poor tastig red-wiggler. Right?
It is not that red wrigglers are 'bad' - it is just that some animals may not 'like' the taste, which is more prominent if the worm has to be cut for smaller animals. My large tigers, who can swallow a whole red wriggler, take to them readily. They eat these as well as cut large nightcrawlers. It is not that red wrigglers should be 'advised against' but rather understand that some animals may not take readily to them. When that is the case, pieces of nightcrawler should be tried.

I get my tiger to eat a piece of nightcrawler along with a cricket by taking a needle and thread and stringing them both on the thread, side by side, so when he goes for the cricket, he inadvertently eats the worm, which he needs for nutritional value, i.e. calcium. This method also prevents the cricket from escaping elsewhere into the enclosure (my salamander is not always fast enough to grab a cricket, either).

Last edited:
I get my tiger to eat a piece of nightcrawler along with a cricket by taking a needle and thread and stringing them both on the thread, side by side, so when he goes for the cricket, he inadvertently eats the worm, which he needs for nutritional value, i.e. calcium. This method also prevents the cricket from escaping elsewhere into the enclosure (my salamander is not always fast enough to grab a cricket, either).

Does the Sal consume the thread?!?!

It is not that red wrigglers are 'bad' - it is just that some animals may not 'like' the taste, which is more prominent if the worm has to be cut for smaller animals. My large tigers, who can swallow a whole red wriggler, take to them readily. It is not that red wrigglers should be 'advised against' but rather understand that some animals may not take readily to them.

I must note that you are right in these regards(shown boldface)...Even some of the "red-wrigglers that I've bought have been enjoyed cut or not. It is kind of "hit or miss" with this product for a "fair" and honest review. The "misses" are where I get angry. I am let down more than satisfied. I thank you for clarifying for the other members what I forgot...I'm coming off of a BAD batch...I shop Petsmart for a couple things that they provide to my satisfaction, but the worms...I just don't like. Are Canadian Nightcrawlers the best? My local Discount Drugmart sells them under this name. Is it the same product, or should I be advised against? I've been hesitant. Thanks again for the "clarity", and for the potential of advice.

Are Canadian Nightcrawlers the best? My local Discount Drugmart sells them under this name. Is it the same product, or should I be advised against? I've been hesitant. Thanks again for the "clarity", and for the potential of advice.

Canadian nightcrawlers are a very good caudate food. You may find this article from Caudata Culture beneficial with regard to worms:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back