I just got a breedind pair.

weemano

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I just got my first breebing axies,
there is 3 females, one brown, two leucistik, and one brown male.
The ex owner said that they had breed, but he hadn't trye to grow the egs up, he had just let them be and let the adult axies take care of egs (so they had eat them all)..

But I'm thinking that I could take the egs safe sometimes and grow up some babies.
There is't any people doing that in finland..

So:
-Is it fine to let the babies grow up in 60 liter aquarium?
-Do the babies eat artemia? What else?
-What goloured babies woul I get when there is white&brown parents?

Huh.
I got those axies yesterday, they even had 7 hours buss trip before I got them..
And now: there is some nice new egs in tank!
They really don't waist any time.

So, how long will it take untill the babies hatch?

I moved the eggs to large glass can. Maybe tomorrow I gould get them a aquarium..

Oh my, the fun begins!

You can start by reading this page:
http://www.axolotl.org/breeding.htm

Then you can read this:
http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm

The temperature can influence how long the eggs take to hatch, but it is generally in about 2 weeks. You therefore may want to start looking in to setting up a brine shrimp hatchery now, so that you are ready once the hatchlings arrive.

The larvae will also eat Daphnia and chopped blackworm but these are too large for very new hatchlings, so that if you cannot get newly hatched Artemia, you may have to reckon with deaths in the first two weeks.

With brown and white parents, you can expect a mix of different colored offspring. This page has more info:
http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm

Good luck to you - I'm sure we'll read lots more of you over the next couple of months, Papa. ;)

-Eva

Last edited:
heh, I'm sure that I will ask many more thing at the while when babies are growing up. :)

Thaks to you eva- again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back