mixing fish

diannpf

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello, i am getting a new tank tomorrow 220lt and was wondering can i put my axie in there with other fish. I am going to be getting tropical fish...clown loaches etc.

I dont think tropical fish will work, it depends on what tempreture they will live at. I also recomend getting a species that live at the top of the water to avoid interaction

ok i might change my mind. in a 220lt tank how many axies can i have. I have been a bit put off getting a friend for my one as i have seen pairs eat each others legs etc. I would like him to have a friend but not if they will fight. Any suggestions?

Hi Diann,

That's right, tropical fish can't be kept with axolotls - axolotls require temperatures less than 21°C, so either the fish or the axolotls (which aren't fish, by the way :D ) will suffer in a community tank. I keep guppies and platies in my aquarium with the axolotls - but they are intended as food. As long as the axolotl does not have any open wounds, the fish will not nibble on them or their gills, and they tolerate the low water temps fine.

How long is a 220l tank? It's the floor dimensions that matter most, as that's where axolotls spend most of their time.

Adding lots of retreats, places to hide, will help deter biting. Axolotls don't fight; rather, they are very shortsighted and hunt by smell/movement and so snap at anything that moves (particularly younger ones), and in this way they can accidentally bite each other.

Do be sure to read up more before getting your new pets:
http://www.axolotl.org/

Good luck to you,

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back