Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Perhaps it's just his time :(

meiriona87

Reaction score
My axie and I have been battling fungus for months now. It first attacked an open wound on his back, then his gills. I did a complete tank clean, tried MarOxy, Maracyn, and salt baths. I thought he was better, but alas the fungus has returned. Trying another round of Maracyn and salt baths. But I just thought, he is almost ten years old. Is he just to old/weak to fight of the fungus?
I don't know how else to stop it. Several people have recommended Furan 2, but I couldn't find it in my local pet store. Any other suggestions?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried using a treatment in conjunction with putting the axolotl in the fridge?

meiriona87

Reaction score
My mother does not want an axolotl in the fridge. haha. But I have been keeping the temperature way down by floating frozen liter bottles.

inkozana

Reaction score
My mother is the same, Meiriona. I have my axolotl in his tank with a fan blowing over the water and I also put in frozen water bottles each day. However he does not have a fungus that must be harder for you :( I wish you good luck though.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Give me your mother's phone number. :cool:

Or substitute the word "hospital" for "fridge".

Sorry, I am trying for a jesting tone but it is a hard pill to swallow, that your axolotl is suffering a horrible affliction and you're fighting it with ice bottles.

The only cures I know for fungus are salt baths and refrigeration - plus removing whatever issue let them grown in the tank / on the axolotl in the first place. Chief among such issues are water temperature and water quality. If your axolotl is 10 years old, you must know what you are doing, I think?

-Eva

meiriona87

Reaction score
I caught the jest. ;)
I will beg her once more. I've heard many times that I'm mostly missing the temperature control. Wish me luck!
And, the salt baths appear to be working much better this time around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1