Need some help Ladies and Gents

TaronLanghover

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
-Taron-
A friend of mine is having problems with her newt and here is the most recent picture.
000_4729.jpg

My guess is that it is either a problem in which it was born with or it is having seizures. My friend said that the newt only does this on occasion and appears to be helpless when it occurs. I will let my friend know of the thread and they should be able to fill in with more details. For it is their animal they just couldn't figure out the picture posting.

That’s perfectly normal behaviour for newts, especially P.waltl. Sometimes they sit with their arms up for minutes at a time.

Now you’re going to ask us why they do it aren’t you….?

Here's one of mine doing the same.
picture.php

What, schoolbus time already? I don't want to get up!

I often find my Pleurodeles in this position when I have to get up early for a special work event, and I turn on their overhead lamps before the sun is up - apparently, catching my little crew still napping. Multiple examples of this posture seem to indicate that some of my little brutes sleep in this position. I've seen my Tarichas do something similar ... though they can't seem to get their little arms ups as far.

Sometimes during P.w. courtship, I've noticed that - if the female manages to slip away from the 'amplexus' embrace - the male will continue swimming alone in the 'arms up' position - oblivious to the fact that 'his date has left the dance floor'. Much like me in high school actually!

I would not worry too-too much about it.
Cheers
Wes

Great they will be pleased to here that. I don't keep these guys and I have never noticed any of my other newts doing it.

Thanks,
Taron Langhover

No need to panic, the newt is just shedding it´s skin!!!
The weird posture and the eyes half closed are the typical syntoms that the new is starting a new shed. Sometimes they will do this for a couple minutes after having shed too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back