how often do you feed axolotl?!

Stiky

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm a newbie to this site!
I've recently got a white axolotl called Jiggly and was wondering if anyone can advise me on how regularly to feed him/her?! I've been feeding Jiggly a pea sized amount of bloodworm every day but the guy in the pet shop said to feed him/her every two days! Every web site I've visited states what kind of food to give them but not how often!
I'm also having a spot of difficulty in sexing Jiggly! I change my mind every day! The back bit by his back leg/tail seemed larger yesterday so I thought that Jiggly's a male but today it seems smaller so could be female!! I'm in disagreement with my boyfriend- I think Jiggly's male and he thinks Jiggly's female!
I think Jiggly's about 4 inches long- so probably 1 year old or so?!
Any tips on feeding and care would be much appreciated,
thanks Stiky x:eek:

Hi Stiky,

4 inches would put your Jiggly more like somewhere between 3 and 5 months old. At this point, I would also be feeding him every day - not too much, though, of course. Sounds like you are doing fine with the amount you are feeding now.

This will also probably be too young to sex Jiggly. If s/e is white, look to see if s/he has black fingertips, and if s/he is black, look for white fingertips - this is the first sign of puberty. Most likely you will still have to wait a couple of months or so to be sure.

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back