Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gloria is sick

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a problem with my year old leucistic. I'm open to any suggestions, however I do know how to salt bath my axolotl and I know about fridging them so I don't need any advice on that.
Gloria refused her earthworm 4 days ago, which I thought was odd, especially as she was looking less fat then she usually does.
Anyway I left it at that and decided to try again yesterday. Oh what a sorry state she looked. Her gills have literally shrunk down to little stubs over a few days and her tummy is looking quite deflated. She isnt skinny but it doesn't look right for her.

Also my other female wildtype axolotl had attacked her. She has been left with a bone protruding from a half bitten toe and her front right leg is grazed and swollen.
Gloria was immediately removed from the tank and is now residing in my fridge in the salad tray at the bottom (plenty of room).

Today she is still the same although the leg is less swollen. Still refusing food(expected that).
I don't have gravel in the tank. The water conditions are fine. I'm pretty sure there is nothing she could have swallowed.
I'm stuck with what to do. Salt bathing doesn't seem neccessary right now, she hasn't got any fungus. Do I just leave her to sort herself out?

My other axolotl who lives in the same tank is absolutely fine, still eating moving about etc. They are both roughly the same age.
At the moment a visit to the vets is out of the question. The vets round here know nothing if very little of axolotl health and I don't want her becoming a guinea pig (lets see if this works) and she dies.
HELP

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Poor Gloria! I hope she will be fine, I can't think of anything to suggest that you are not doing already. Maybe pm herpvet ( from the forum) and see what he may suggest?. Fingers and toes crossed for you.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Thanks for that Julia. Well this morning she is looking a little better. The arm has gone back to normal size now. She still hasn't eaten but thats to be expected.
She actually seems to be enjoying the fridge. I think I'm just going to closely observe her for a few days. Maybe she just needs a break from the other axolotl Suki. I think we will be separating them into their own tanks if Gloria recovers as she does seem to be being bullied a bit even though she is the older of the two.
Luckily I still have my old tank they were both in.

Its like animal hospital here at the moment, Gloria in the fridge and 2 day old Platy babies doing well in a nursery tank. They will be food for the axies when they are big enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1