Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sinking wood?

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I've had an idea for my brown sand tank w/no driftwood. I have no idea when, if ever I'll find an appropriate piece and its taking forever for the grass to get established.

So I have nothing TALL in the background.

Its BLAH.

I've a huge quantity of peacock moss I've been dying to affix to some driftwood or possibly make a wall out of it and some screen. But I view the tanks from front and back and that would completely obscure my view.

HENNY HOO... I had this idea..... of columns of moss. Using something along the lines of closet dowel rods, standing upright and affixing the moss in portions along it, letting it grow and fill in the gaps.

1. How long would it take for wood like that (untreated of course) to sink?

2. I dunno - anyone foresee an issue with this?

I'm already wondering how to keep the base steady but MAYBE I can glue it to a rock or something.

Thank you for reading!
Sharon

IanF

Reaction score
The problem I think is that most woods don't sink, or won't until they are half rotted. But if you found some that would sink, wasn't treated, and you cleaned it thoroughly; I don't see a problem. Anyone else see anything wrong with it?

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I don't understand why the dowels are supposed to sink? :confused:

-Confused Eva

JWERNER

Reaction score
So they don't float.

I would glue them to rocks and bury the rocks in the sand.

I had this one piece that just wouldn't sink but lookd so good.

Well luckily I had to brake the tank down do to a long haul to a new house when we moved and when I set it back up I just glued it down to the glass with gorilla glue.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
dowel rods, standing upright

:confused:

As to a log at the bottom of the tank, they sell these at most aquarium shops among the decorations - however, as I understand it, these logs depend on sucker fish (plecos, etc) to remove the layer of scum that develops on the log. As such fish are not present in an axolotl tank, there is the risk that the log will eventually rot.

Sharon, how about attaching the plants to rocks instead of wood? (Another side question: Will the moss change the pH of your tank?)

-Eva

JWERNER

Reaction score
In order for the rods to stand straight up and down they need to be attached to something or they will float to the top and lay horizontally across the top.

Now you may be right about the rotting wood but I have wood in tanks without any kinds of fish to graze on it and its fine. The moss will also help.

But, I am wondering where one would find dowel rod shaped rocks/stone. That would be a good idea. I know I have seen it before. Maybe even improvise by making something out of foam. Use the foam much like how people would to make elaborate backgrounds.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
hhmm greatstuff columns secured to a rock.... maybe um lay the greatstuff on pebbles and press a dead sterile moss onto it to hide it... w/a rock at the base - could be glued on later - omg so much work!

LOL I think I'm gonna look for resin columns that I can cover, or go with the dowel stick thing.

Sharon

JWERNER

Reaction score
they have these Styrofoam rods at craft stores. They are green or white and are hard. I use the sheets they sell like this to make my backgrounds so I guarantee its safe.

It sounds like you want the least amount of work but if you do feel like turning this into a project PM me and I can give you loads of info on how to make the foam rods look like stone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1