problem with front right Axolotl's leg

mpikis

Reaction score
Country
Greece
i dont know what happen...i just bought an axolotl and i realise that when swims or walk has a problem with his front right leg.his ankle is always turned and he can't strech it....(my english are AWFUL...SORRY)

C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CALEX%5C%C3%8E%C2%95%C3%8F%C2%80%C3%8E%C2%B9%C3%8F%C2%86%C3%8E%C2%AC%C3%8E%C2%BD%C3%8E%C2%B5%C3%8E%C2%B9%C3%8E%C2%B1%20%C3%8E%C2%B5%C3%8F%C2%81%C3%8E%C2%B3%C3%8E%C2%B1%C3%8F%C2%83%C3%8E%C2%AF%C3%8E%C2%B1%C3%8F%C2%82%5C%C3%8E%C2%A8%C3%8E%C2%97%C3%8E%C2%A6%C3%8E%C2%99%C3%8E%C2%91%C3%8E%C2%9A%C3%8E%C2%9F%C3%8E%C2%A5%C3%8E%C2%9B%C3%8E%C2%91

I'm afraid your photos did not work for me.
Try uploading an image to the gallery?

Hi Mpikis,

I'm afraid I can't see your photos either.

One of our moderators has kindly put together a tutorial on how to post photos to a thread. This link will take you there: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55492

As a guess, I would say your axolotl may have been attacked by a tank mate at the pet store where he was purchased, and the leg has regrown at the wrong angle. The regeneration process is not always perfect, sometimes the limbs can regrow at odd angles and sometimes an extra limb can also develop making a truly special axolotl.

He may have also injured himself in the tank by maybe getting his foot stuck? If you could provide a photo of your axolotl and tank setup that would be of help.

Looking forward to seeing a photo of your axolotl :D

these are some photos to help you...

Attachments

• P1000216.JPG
    P1000216.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 535
  • P1000217.JPG
    P1000217.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 483
  • P1000219.JPG
    P1000219.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 778
  • P1000220.JPG
    P1000220.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 542
  • P1000221.JPG
    P1000221.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 450
  • P1000222.JPG
    P1000222.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 588
thank you guys foe your quick reply and havelock for how to upload pictures!!!

Hi Mpikis,

The leg is crooked, but this shouldn't cause any problems for your axolotl. A while back, I purchased an axolotl with a leg missing and it has fully regenerated but to half the size of a normal limb and he is not the least bothered by it - he can swim better than his tank mate ;).

Your axolotl is a bit thin, I'm sure it won't take long to fatten him up though. As a rough guide, the axolotl's belly should be about as wide as the head - plump but not obese.

These articles give a good rundown on the best foods for your new friend, earthworm is the best as it has all the nutricion an axolotl needs in one wriggling package:http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml.

If you are reluctant to feed live food to the axolotl, there are non live food options as well:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Cheers Jacq.

Hi Mpikis,

The leg is crooked, but this shouldn't cause any problems for your axolotl. A while back, I purchased an axolotl with a leg missing and it has fully regenerated but to half the size of a normal limb and he is not the least bothered by it - he can swim better than his tank mate ;).

and how this crooked led can be fixed?by a doctor (vet) or the axie will fix it by himself...or he wiill get used to it and he would not the least bothered by it?

Your axolotl is a bit thin, I'm sure it won't take long to fatten him up though. As a rough guide, the axolotl's belly should be about as wide as the head - plump but not obese.

These articles give a good rundown on the best foods for your new friend, earthworm is the best as it has all the nutricion an axolotl needs in one wriggling package:http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml.

If you are reluctant to feed live food to the axolotl, there are non live food options as well:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Cheers Jacq.

thanks you for this articles i wiil buy some worms to start breeding my own...My axie is male or female can you recognise or it s a bit early?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back