Question: species mixing

superfin

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Chris
Hi all:D.In a recent spot of good luck I have come across a weather/dojo loach and I was wondering if I could put the loach in with my 3 cfb newts.I have a lot of plants so there is a lot of waste for him to eat(it sounds horrible but thats what he eats)

chris:wacko:

A few things to consider, some types of Dojo's get up to 20"s.

They do best in groups.

Also, they are omnivores but they do not east waste!!! Anything consumed that would be considered waste posses a health risk.

One good aspect is they require colder water.

I have kept lots of newts and fish together back in the past with the fact that they have been non tropical types of fish. I also must urge the fish to not be aggressive and to not be small enough for newts to eat if they get the chance. Trust me they will try and eat the fish and if the fish is to big to properly digest but big enough to swallow that will end up to be a bad situation.

Hi all :eek: when I said waste i meant leaves coming off of the plants, do they eat that?Also my dojo loach is not that active at all he is very calm most of the time and he is bigger than my newts if any thing im woried that the loach will eat them:D

Dojo loaches do not eat leaves (do not believe lfs they come up with the most stupid stories). They mainly eat worms and insect and things like that.

Try the search function on mixing species. You'll find the answer is no 99 out of a 100 times, that includes this combination in my opinion.

Dojo loaches are omnivores but they just don't eat decaying vegetation.

Ok point taken about the leaves bad idea:blush:.So I will keep him in a seprate tank maybe with my mountain minnows as I have read they go well together:D

p.s thanks everyone for the advice

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back