Tank Stand - Particle Board?

oneatos

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Ulysses
I have been searching for a stand and decided to go for a cubbie that is the exact size for the aquarium. It is particle board, so I was concern whether it would be able to hold the aquarium without a problem.

Any experiences with particle board?

Particle board, otherwise known as chipboard. I'm pretty sure its used in the construction of some Tank stands, they just add a veneer to make it look like 'wood'. I think it depends on the density of board you use so you would need to check that.
I'm sure another member will know more about it then me though.
Good luck with your stand.

Putting the aquarium onto a flat board will also help distribute the weight across the stand.

-Eva

Thanks - I just went to local store and most of the stands were particle board - pretty similar to the one I got... I hope it will be fine:blob:

Just make sure it doesnt get wet. If it does it will go soggy, expand and fall apart

Hi oneatos
Like coichards said , dont let the wood get wet .
Strength wise , it would depend on the size of the tank , and exactly how the stand / cubbie was made .
A large tank that was only supported at either end would spell disaster in the near future .
Seedy

Thank you all! When I have the setup complete - I will post pictures

cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back