Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

sod...good or bad?

jbherpin

Reaction score
If I were to take a portion of unfertilized sod to use as a substrate what problems should I expect? By sod I mean a section of grass cut to fit an enclosure. Usually sod has a dense grass top with about 2 inches of roots and soil. I would collect from an area that has no chance of pollutants, and a diverse plant culture. I don't think this is easily done with no problems, I've always wondered though. Thanks!

ferret_corner

Reaction score
HUH I thought about this once too. I'm curious about the answers....

Sharon

spoons

Reaction score
you may get problems with nematodes i guess, depends if its native species you are keeping on it ... they should already be used to anything living in it...im no soil expert though:p

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The biggest problems are that 1.) caudates don't usually live in grass, and 2.) grass is usually a very light-demanding plant, and this light is not compatible with caudate comfort levels.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, you don't know what kinds of fertilizers and chemical were used to treat the sod. I would bet that they use all sorts of chemicals to prevent crabgrass, weeds, insects, etc.

If you really want a grassy enclosure, I would select some untreated grass seed and sprout it in the tank substrate.

jbherpin

Reaction score
If I were to take a portion of unfertilized sod to use as a substrate what problems should I expect? Usually sod has a dense grass top with about 2 inches of roots and soil. I would collect from an area that has no chance of pollutants, and a diverse plant culture. I don't think this is easily done with no problems, I've always wondered though. Thanks!

I tried to solve that question in initial post

jbherpin

freves

Reaction score
I would not cut a section that would cover the entire tank (or even a large portion of it) because whether or not the grass lives or dies you are probably rarely ever going to see your salamander. Even if the grass does survive in lower light levels it may need a cooling off period in the winter to do well long term. If you are just looking for a native plant to put into your enclosure I once read an article that stated that Virginia creeper (sorry I do not know the latin name) does well in vivaria. I would imagine that it would need regular pruning to keep it in check though.
Chip

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Virginia creeper is Parthenocissus quinquefolia.

It's not a particularly pretty plant. It's okay, but I guess it's not really anything I'd put in my vivaria. I suppose if it's your thing, then go for it.

freves

Reaction score
Virginia creeper is Parthenocissus quinquefolia.

It's not a particularly pretty plant. It's okay, but I guess it's not really anything I'd put in my vivaria. I suppose if it's your thing, then go for it.

I have a bunch of it growing up the side of my shed. I have to keep reminding myself that it is not poison ivy when I mow around it.
Chip

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Haha, Chip. I was thinking about mentioning how it always reminds me of poison ivy! Those crazy vine plants. Riverbank grape does too.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried to solve that question in initial post

jbherpin
Oops, I guess I should read before I write!

Have you searched for old posts showing grass growing in terrariums? It has been done. If you can't find the photos (very old posts), I'll try to dig them out for you. It looks nice, but I don't know how long it can be maintained.

I think what you are suggesting would work, but you would probably bring in various kinds of plant and insect life along with the sod. If you are keeping native species of sals anyway, this probably isn't a concern.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Actually that seems like a good plant to add to a tank to get a bit of a woodland look going...unless you guys have another suggestion.

jbherpin

Reaction score
Have you searched for old posts showing grass growing in terrariums? It has been done. If you can't find the photos (very old posts), I'll try to dig them out for you. It looks nice, but I don't know how long it can be maintained.

I think what you are suggesting would work, but you would probably bring in various kinds of plant and insect life along with the sod. If you are keeping native species of sals anyway, this probably isn't a concern.

No, i have not seen the old posts, but, I've grown wheat grass as a commercially available pet product with house geckos, and CFBN's. I would keep a colony of three Red-Backs and take "sod" from same locale. If all "pans out" with this thread, and I feel the common response is in favor. Lastly, my ideal would be a "sod" patch that would be 65% live natural moss, and 35% grass growing through. This is a constant in the area I am speaking of. I would also include a drainage layer for the roots to benefit, and to remove the aspect of muddy conditions. The small invertabrates should be consumed or escape with no harm, in my opinion. My other question is when the grass dies out in fall-winter, will it recover in the spring-summer?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!