Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White stuff on gills?

xscarymsmaryx

Reaction score
Mr axy is ill! he has got some white substance on his gills that may be a fungus? and his tail also looks a bit white, although I'm not sure if these are his normal markings because he is my sister's axy
I have fridged him and done a 50% water change as she told me too, please can anyone help me and him?

sherylbobbins

Reaction score
Ahoy! The white substance does sound like fungus. Would you be able to post a picture of the little one? It will most certainly assist in a diagnosis.. especially with those white markings.

xscarymsmaryx

Reaction score
Hey,this is the sister. Unfortunately, he's died :( I've recently moved away so was unable to get a full report, but apparently his appetite has been down for a good couple of weeks, and he was just sitting at the bottom and only moving slightly if anyone went near him (my dad and brother did this to check if he would react). He was a golden albino, and in the photo my brother sent, he looked very thin and quite a dark orangey colour, considering his usual yellowy-ness. His gills were turned forward (though this may just be because he's dead?) and looked far less 'fluffy' than usual, and seem to be an orangey/red colour with some white spots.

I was just wondering if anyone might have an idea about what killed him? As far as I know the nitrate etc levels were fine, and he's not been put under any stress or anything. Diet's been the same (a deforsted bloodworm cube on Tuesdays and Saturdays), so I have no clue :(

I did get him from a pet shop about 18months ago where he'd been kept in warm water, but when I put him into his tank at home he was fine and hasn't had any other problems until this.

I don't have internet at my new house, but I'll get my brother to keep checking back. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I'm so sad that he's gone and I didn't get to see him :(

inkozana

Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss :( When axolotls die from a fungus on the gills (not sure about other deaths) their gills do turn forward, they tend to curl up quite a lot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!