Cycling. My tank hates me...

Neke

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ok. So I got all excited when I came home from work this morning -
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 40

Then I added my sad looking java fern, plastic plants and pvc piping. I haven't tested my ammonia in ages because it was just always 0, so when I woke up this afternoon I thought I'd better check it to make sure it was still ok. Now it's at 0.25.

Should I start tearing my hair out and kicking the tank, or is it cycled and the plant has just made the ammonia rise a little?

Also, if it is finished can I stick a guppy in until I sort out some form of cooling? I bought them about a week and a half ago and they're currently living in another tank.

Thanks!

Yes put the guppy in, it won't do any harm. They may help with the last bit of cycling if you have to do any.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back