Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

how to encourage my axie to grow?

elessarspatriot

Reaction score
Rishton, near Blackburn, Lancashire, England
hi guys, on the axolotl.org forum its says "I've raised axolotls to 26 cm in 7 months, but that's exceptionally fast." now i have had a wild type axolotl for a good few months (it must be about 5 months going on 6) and its still tiny (i am sure less than 15cm) i feed it everyday with worms and occasionally treat it to a bit of bloodworm but its still its not growing.

How did this gentleman get his to grow so fast, i dont plan on making it do the same i just want to 'kick start' it into growing bigger if possible.

IanF

Reaction score
Re: how to incourage my axie to grow?

Perhaps varying its diet some more might help to give him the extra nutrients required to grow, but other than that I think you'll just need patience. Axolotls growth really depends on genetics, so some grow quickly and some don't. It's like trying to get a short person to become really tall.:p

Moomin

Reaction score

Put fertaliser in his tank LOL!

Kiddin...don't lol

Vivern

Reaction score

Mine axolotl is about 25cm long and he is about 1.5 years old, and I think he is still keeping growing, but not as fast as before. When I got him he was about 7cm long. He were growing very fast from 5-6 till 11-12 months old.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Water temperature will also play a role in growth. If the tank is very cold, the animal will be slower to grow (but no less healthy) than an animal kept in a tank on the warmer end of axolotl temperature range.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1