Translucent limb bad or good?

jj85

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I've noticed that my baby fire-belly newt has a translucent right arm, meaning its stop being black at his elbow. I don't know if this was there before because I just noticed it a month ago. He seems fine. He eats and everything. He's still transitioning to being an adult. He's in the stage where his mane looking thing went away and now he chose to stay on land for now.
anyways thats not the only thing though.
The arm that is translucent, well, his fingers don't separate. Their all stuck together like a mitten and that hand is smaller than the other side.

Could this be a result of the type of moss I put in there or a lack of not enough nutrition? Or just a disability? He eats just fine so I don't see how it could be that...

Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it before?

To me it sounds like the limb is in the process of regenerating (only a guess though, could off course be something else). This can be a pretty fast process in larval newts. Could the limb have been bitten of by other animals in the tank? In case of violence between animals you should consider separating them...

Cheers, Vide

To me it sounds like the limb is in the process of regenerating (only a guess though, could off course be something else). This can be a pretty fast process in larval newts. Could the limb have been bitten of by other animals in the tank? In case of violence between animals you should consider separating them...

Cheers, Vide

actually no. it lives in a small tank. my other newts are in their own tank and already are big. i didnt want to risk putting the baby one with the rest.

But thanks about the info that it could be possibly just still growing. I never thought about that!

:happy:

I agree with Vide. This does look like a regeneration that is happening. Perhap your baby newt hurt itself by other means. Is your tank setup safe for your newt? It is also possible of a small fungal infection that ate it arm away and now is recovering. I have one of my captive breed cynops gone through a fungal infection and regenerated it arm. It seems like the limbs are more susceptible to fungal infection.

When you refer your newt as baby, how 'baby' is it? What stage? How long have it been at that stage? If it is the case of fungal infection, maybe it is wise to prevent it from happening again; say the water being too hot or dirty?

actually no. it lives in a small tank. my other newts are in their own tank and already are big. i didnt want to risk putting the baby one with the rest.

But thanks about the info that it could be possibly just still growing. I never thought about that!

:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back