Floating Near the Surface

brella

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've noticed that one of my axolotls has been floating at the top of the tank barley below the surface of the water. He is the one out of the 2 that "begs" for food and is the first to come towards me when I'm feeding them. He has no problems eating and he is not showing any strange behavior.
Should I be concerned that he floats at the top often?

I wouldn't worry too much. He is probably just full of air and needs to burp! They do that sometimes. It usually settles down.

My girl floats pretty much all day every day, she has done for a couple of years! No problems with water temp, quality etc, she just hangs out at the top of the tank, I get excited when she decides to sit on the bottom or crawl inside her log, it's not very often though. Have had the same large rocks on bottom of the tank since I got her about 4-5 years ago.

Same here. One of my boys tends to anchor himself in the plants using his tale that near the top of the tank and floats just under the surface whereas the other skulks around the bottom of the tank amongst the tubes and plant bases. it just seems to be personnal preferance on the axies part.

I'm not very experienced with axolotls but I do know a lot about aquatic animals. Fish will swim at the top consistently if there isn't enough oxygen in the water. They both have gills so mayyyybeee that is why. Try increasing the oxygen levels in your aquarium with a larger filter or just a bubble rock. If it still has the same behavior then it probably isn't anything to worry about.

My axolotl was doing this a few years back. He was floating at the top and swimming into where the current should have been coming out of his filter.

It turned out that the filter has become blocked somehow and the wasnt cycling the water so the water was still.

I personally think that my axolotl is a genius and was trying to tell me that there was something wrong with the filter by swimming into it.

My axolotl has been doing the same for 2 days now. Idk if it cuz I got bunch floaters that now cover the top on the water or what

My axolotl has been doing the same for 2 days now. Idk if it cuz I got bunch floaters that now cover the top on the water or what
I have an axolotl, Finley, he is 14. He has always liked to be higher up in the tank. So he would sit on top of plants etc. He has some budgie rings that he regularly sits himself in at the top of the tank 😀

I have an axolotl, Finley, he is 14. He has always liked to be higher up in the tank. So he would sit on top of plants etc. He has some budgie rings that he regularly sits himself in at the top of the tank 😀

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230-095735_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231230-095735_Gallery.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 78
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire... +1
    Back