Question: My sister neededs some advice and I don't know the answer...

kira

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Kira
My little sister has decided that she would like an axolotl. She has gone and got herself a small tank to begin with (her axie is only 6cm long) and is planning on getting a much larger one in a couple of weeks so that she can have more than one axie. But she hasn't bought a filter as yet because she wanted to wait until she gets the larger tank.

She wants to know if she can use an oxygen block in her small tank for a little bit?
Also she wants to know if she can use an ammonia preventative block to help prevent the build up of ammonia? I have never heard of something like that, but apparently the ammonia block releases minerals into the water to stablise the pH and prevent the build up of ammonia.

I am not sure what to tell her as I have never used anything like that.:confused:

What do you guys think??? All advice would be very helpful!

My little sister has decided that she would like an axolotl.

And who can blame her? ;)

She has gone and got herself a small tank to begin with (her axie is only 6cm long) and is planning on getting a much larger one in a couple of weeks so that she can have more than one axie. But she hasn't bought a filter as yet because she wanted to wait until she gets the larger tank.

She wants to know if she can use an oxygen block in her small tank for a little bit?

This should be fine until she gets the bigger tank. She will need to do frequent water changes to control the Ammonia levels.

Also she wants to know if she can use an ammonia preventative block to help prevent the build up of ammonia? I have never heard of something like that, but apparently the ammonia block releases minerals into the water to stablise the pH and prevent the build up of ammonia.

I would advise her not to use these ammonia blocks. The block converts Ammonia to Ammonium which is less toxic but still dangerously toxic to an axolotl. The best way to rid the tank of ammonia in lieu of cycling is frequent water changes.

Axolotls are happy in a pH range of 6.5 - 9.

If the pH drops below 6.5 using natural methods such as shell grit and coral sand to raise the pH to within the axolotl's preferred range is the safest way of adjusting pH levels. Chemical uppers and downers of any sort should be avoided.

Cheers Jacq.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back