sick frog, help help~~

princessp714

Reaction score
Country
United States
my husband was changing the water in his Albino clawed frog tank and the frogs started to become lifeless, 2 dropped to the bottom and the other 2 floated freely. he told the one he thought was dead out, put him in a cup of water but it's still alive, we don't know what to do with him, they have never been any issues with them but I am lost now. we added aquarium salt to the tank and fished the cleaning but WHAT DO WE DO WITH THE FROG IN THE CUP, WE WANT HIM ALIVE!!!

Despite their overall hardiness, xenopus are quite sensitive to ammonia..sounds like yours may be suffering from ammonia toxicity, esp. as all became ill at once...i would keep tabs on ammonia levels, filtration and water changes in future..perhaps if you send details I can offer more advice.

In future, can place afflicted frogs into spring/bottled (not distilled) water in an emergency, may help "flushing process"...salt risky with most amphibs, although Xenopus tolerates brackish ponds in England....when using salt based fish meds for Surinam toads, animals went into rapid shed even at half fish dose, scratched, etc...in any event , salt mainly to kill parasites and other micro organisms. Please write back with details.
I have a number of amphibian husbandry articles, including dealing with emergencies, posted at:
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatreptileblog
best, frank

I hope he's doing better! I have kept mine in spring water for over 4 years now and they have not been sick as of yet (knock on wood).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back