ill axolotl

kate h

Reaction score
Country
England
cananyone help me.....my baby axolotl is walking on the backs of his hands all the time nd looking a bit wobbly has anyone ever had this happen to their pet before and can anyone tell me why this is happening?....

i dont know about this but i would say somthing wrong with his hands (broken bone)(swolen)i dont no send me a pic please:D

cananyone help me.....my baby axolotl is walking on the backs of his hands all the time nd looking a bit wobbly has anyone ever had this happen to their pet before and can anyone tell me why this is happening?....

Greetings! It does indeed sound like a broken limb which does happen to axolotls every now and then. Does the little one have any tank mates? If so, your axolotl was probably bitten. But don't worry, axolotls have amazing regenerating abilities and the limb will heal within a month or so. Just be warned that it may heal in it's current backwards position but that just makes your axolotl even more special :p

Thanks guys he does seem to be coping very well with his backwards hands, and yes he does have a tank mate who is possibly to blame! Also, does anyone know the acceptable amounts of ammonia and nitrates? I do a 20% treated water change once a week is this enough?

Ammonia and nitrite should be zero. There should be no detectable amount. Nitrates should ideally be below 40ppm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back