New to Terrestrial Salamanders

IanF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ian Faux
I have been keeping Axolotls for awhile now, however I have very little experience when it comes to terrestrial setups and salamanders. But you've always gotta start somewhere right? So I looked around and one Salamander struck my fancy in particular, the Barred Tiger Salamander. I took a look at some care sheets, searched the forums for more information on them, checked out their diet, and I'm very intrested in beginning to get things going. First off is convincing my family to allow me to keep one in the house:p. Most care sheets matched the advice given on the forums so I've selected one that gives an accurate idea of what I'll be needing tank-wise. Theres no rush however so I can't see this happening until November/December time.
Apart from informing you of my plans I was hoping I could get some advice up-front. Even if it's just to verify the information I've been given already, it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone feels my decision isn't very well made, please tell me, or if Barred Tiger Salamanders aren't a good choice for a beginner. Thanks in advance.

Tiger sals are the best terrestrial salamander for a beginner. I myself have one. Mine is a Eastern Tiger salamander. Most people do want the barred tigers though because of thier beauty. I have mine in a eco-earth/topsoil mixture(very moist) with some hides such as bark and toilet paper rolls. I feed mine only worms and night crawlers.

Tiger sals have lots of personality. They're great. Make sure you give them plenty of sustrate to burrow in. Feed them as you would axolotls. Give them a hunk of earthworm every couple of days. Keep one side of the tank moist. That's about it.

Cool, thanks for the information, could anybody tell me how easy these guys would be to purchase in the UK? I haven't seen one in any stores around here.

there are generally plenty of them around there is one store in darlington ( still along way) but they have them in at the moment

Hmmm thats the problem, I'm unable to travel for more than 2 hours due to my hectic schedule. I'm thinking of switching to a fire salamander as they're easier to get.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back