Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: C.FBN Open Sore/Blister/Wound Really Bad HELP

newtcop

Reaction score
C.FBN Open Sore/Blister/Wound Really Bad HELP - PHOTO

My baby Newt has an open wound/sore in the back of his neck please help here is the break down of symptoms and current treatment. Unknown if result of water, stress, environment, injury, condition prior to bringing home from store or what. Photo below beware not pretty ! HELP ME SAVE ABRAHAM PLEASE

5 days ago - Ate and otherwise appeared normal

4 days ago notice what appeared as a white bump and raised skin on back of neck
3 days ago no real change still white bump started researching and thought possibly an ulcer
2 days ago started looking worse and bigger decided that the next day we would try something for him after lots of reading which was not too clear.
1 day ago skin opened up and looks like you can see his back bone through the opening
- Called store where purchased they recommended Maracyn (eurthromycin) which we started after isolating in his own small tank. Also, thinking it was infected applied 50% diluted hydrogen peroxide direct to only the wound, little guy obviously did not like that feeling so we only left it on him for about 10 seconds then flushed the wound with fresh water and placed him in a fresh treated tank.
4. Today no real change repeated treatement as previous day however applied some neosporin (No Pain relief) to the wound after treating with the Peroxide aa second time and a entire water change with Maracyn added.

Tank & Water Condition -

- 10 Gallon 2/3 water 1/3 land, Submersable filter with sponge/charcol filter
- Water Temperature through day 1 of illness 72-74 ( upon getting the newts the water was warm after coming here and learning the correct temparature of 68-70 since then)
pH 6.8-7.0 since setup
- Ammonia - .25 at highest level ( 0 since highest level detected after day noticing the sore however new tank is getting adjust a water change was completed at that time.)
- No Nitrate or Nitrite Detectable

Chemicals used

- Proper pH7.0, Maracyn

Food

- Live Black Worms (no Food in 4 Days)
PA110086s.JPG

Last edited:

newtcop

Reaction score
UPDATE - Still Alive seemed fairly alert this morning will attempt feeding later this morning. Still no change in the wound size or severity. No foam, puss or any other indication that it is infected just looks like it hurts and bad changed location to more dark during the day.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I can't offer any real help or insight but PLEASE don't use peroxide any more. Peroxide not only eats infected flesh but it eats new healthy granulating flesh so you'll inhibit the wound from healing over.

I'm sure someone else here will be able to offer treatment options for the wound soon!

Sharon

newtcop

Reaction score
Still no change however there was a strange film or thing in the water was thinking it might be his skin, do they shed their skin or something it was really weird, the other thing I noticed was all day everytime I looked at him his skin appeared wet this has not been the norm as he is a land lover and tends to look very dry all the time even before this incident.

No more peroxide under the pervious posters recommendation, while the wound looks bad it does looks clean and not infected very clear with no discharge that I can see anymore.

He would not eat today again just gets annoyed at me waving the blood worms as they wiggle in front of him mouth. I am thinking about putting him back in the aquarium if he makes it another 24hrs and keeps appearing alert and normal. Any recommendations or feedback on doing this or should I keep him isolated ? It is easier to make sure he is in a clean treated environment but if this is normal and there is no reason to keep him out I would like to put him back with his friends. I can't believe no-one who has read this has seen this before I wondering also if maybe this is not an infection but rather an injury or something from us handling him. We have not since we began treating him and always made sure to rinse our hands first and have them wet while holding him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!