Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few words on Donations

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't monitor donations, but I've noticed in the last few months that donations have been falling slowly but surely. For example, if the last 30 days was typical of the next year, the site will barely pay for itself. Obviously that would be ideal but if I personally have to add $100 for hosting at some point, that's a significant amount of cash to me (I currently earn about $10.50 per hour before taxes, I'm married, and my wife is a student). So please forgive me if I think about these things.

There are exceptional donations. For example, one person, who shall remain anonymous, donated a not insignificant 3 digit sum during the summer (she knows who she is) but I find it disconcerting to depend on random significant donations. These are very rare anyhow, particularly since I prohibited several individuals over the last few years from donating, since they were basically being too generous.

OK, so I've said all I want to say about the current situation. When I have talked about donations in the past I have occasionally received a hard time from someone, usually with the misguided opinion that I'm either a) sitting on a pile o' cash, or b) doing something else that's dodgy. If you're one of these people then please search the site for discussions on this topic, and if that's not enough for you there's a nice detailed thread on the topic of Caudata.org donations/costs over at caudata.nl with a detailed contribution from myself. Thank you.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm making this post to further the goal of transparency on the site. Our donations drive for Amphibian Ark ended on January 2nd 2009. We raised a total of US $1120 from December 2nd 2008 to January 2nd 2009.

To inform anyone who might believe that such a large number is typical of what Caudata.org receives, here's the donations total to Caudata.org since the AArk donations drive ended. This number is for January 3rd to February 6th 2009: US $50. That does not factor in Paypal fees. In the middle of January I paid our 3 monthly hosting costs and there were 2 domain renewals (these are yearly): total just over $300.

This does not include commission from sales through cafepress. I can give more information on these but frankly Cafepress has a customer complaint from me regarding the absence of the cheque for the last couple of months' commission.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1