First time feeder fish

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AGreenDarkness
Squishy does seem to be feeling better now days, and since I was at my dads I asked him to buy me some worms to take back to school with me for Squish to eat.

She normally eats earth worms but they are hard to come by in my college town so when I run out and can't get anymore she has to eat her amphibian pellets. And she hates them.

We went to the pet store to get worms, but they were out. So I got 10 feeder fish. They look like little tiny guppies. Not any bigger than the pieces of worm I normally feed Squish. Does this sound good? I was thinking I would toss them in her tank and she could munch of them for a while. Or should I keep them in a separate bowl and then plop one in every once in a while?

I have read a bit about other people giving their axies feeder fish, but this is my first time. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

The most important thing is to quarantine them for at least 30 days, so you'll most likely need a seperate tank/bowl for the fish. I'd recommend mabey putting 2 or so in as putting them all in might lead to the Axolotl being overwhelmed and mabey even losing abit of it's gills. So once you've made sure they're healthy and they've all been quarantined for the appropriate time, you can just plop them in with the Axolotl. It'll take around a day or two for the fish to be eaten.

Awesome. Thank you! hopefully Squishy will be patient for the time it takes to make sure they are healthy. Right now I am like "look a pellet! a pellet Squishy! a pellet!" and she looks at me like "I want something wiggly :-("

Walmart almost always carries earthworms. I've bought them there year-round. Try looking there.

I am in luck! a girl who lives in another dorm on campus has a carnivorous fish which she gives feeder fish and she offered to let me have some of hers. She keeps them in a separate tank and swears that they were all healthy.

So far Squishy has eaten two. Hopefully all goes well. Next time I get near a Wal-Mart I will try to buy some earthworms from there.

Thanks!

I am sure Squish appreciated the well wishes. Since she has been sick everyone in my dorm has been rallying around her, I am beginning to suspect that people aren't my friends they just want a glimpse at Squishy, they really knock on the door and ask how she is haha. She has been doing pretty good with the feeder fish, but I really want to find some worms as these are her favorites. I tried both Petco and Wal-mart and when I asked for earthworms they looked at me like I was crazy and then offered me crickets. I thought I was going to vomit. haha. Hopefully soon I find SOMEONE who sells worms around here.

Just out of curiosity, when you went to Wal-mart to get the worms, where did you go to get them? Here at my local Wal-mart the worms are kept in a refrigerator beside the sporting goods counter. I am sure you looked there but just in case you haven't I thought I would let you know.

Later,
Justin

Did you ever try to dig out the earthworms? :)
When I need earthworms I just go to some wet place (I have nice tiny park near my house) and voila! after 10-15 minutes I have enough earthworms!
'Cause there aren't any shops that sell earthworms, only bloodworms.

As Justin already covered (thanks Justin!), I totally forgot to tell you that you won't find worms at walmart's pet department. And I know PetStupid usually carries them in the fish department.

I did try at the sports counter, they were like well we have these fake worms for fishing. It was kind of ridiculous. I am going home this weekend so I will just have to find a place to dig some up, I feel sure that the campus would not be happy with me if I spent a couple hours digging up worms for my pet ha. Thanks for all of advice!

You're welcome! ;)
But maybe your campus's garden need a new flowerbed, then you could mix digging worms with making flowerbed :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back