Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

new tiger salamander set-up and questions.

Ender42

Reaction score
hello everyone.
my tiger sal has just recently started to morph, so i have set up a new terrarium for him. let me know what you think.
IMG00204-1.jpg

sorry the quality is bad(camera phone:p)but on the left that is a log under the stair thing and he can go behind it too, as another area to hide.
this is just the start i am going to add some plants so that he can maybe move around more comfortably.
here is the little guy in his pond
IMG00205.jpg

IMG00212.jpg

i also have a few questions regarding the morphing process. is it normal for him to not be as active at first getting used to his new habitat? is there anything i should change or add to his tank? and is a UTH necessary?
thanks any feedback would be great :D

slowfoot

Reaction score
It looks good. What kind of substrate are you using? I'd be tempted to add some dried leaves or something for him to nose around in, and maybe another hide.

Tiger salamanders tend to become much more 'lazy' once they're terrestrial. They'll also spend a lot of time hiding or burrowing.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Your substrate looks really damp. I would let it dry out a bit. Moist to the touch, but not so moist you can ring water out of it. And add more. They like to burrow, so 4-5 inches of substrate isn't too much.

And no, you do NOT need a heater. I keep mine at 40-50F in the winter, and less than 75F (with help of an air conditioner) in the summer.

Ender42

Reaction score
thank you, i have added plenty more substrate (which is t-rex jungle bed). i was also wondering what the best way to keep the temperature a little lower. right now its at 70.1F but i would like to lower it a couple of degrees, any ideas? I have read the lower the temperature you only need to feed once a week, rather than twice for the higher temp. however i have fed it its first crickets today, and he loved them! thanks for the help everyone.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You might also try mixing the jungle bed (which is coconut fiber) with topsoil. This holds moisture and structure better.

To keep the temperature lower, you can move the tank to another location, or you can put a fan over the tank.

You might also try feeding earthworms.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1