Getting into Newts

troyblunden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,
I have a lot of experience with the full reptile spectrum with the exception of Amphibians. I had some Chinese Firebellies as a kid and then some tiger salamanders in college. I want to get into newts again. I am fascinated with these little guys. I want to get into keeping and breeding again. I am interested in the Mandarins/ Crocodiles, Euro Marbleds, and my favorites are the Luristan Newts, but want to wait on them until I gain more experience. My biggest obstacle is living in Florida and my wife not wanting "too many" in the house. A garage in Florida (where I can have as many as I want) gets way too hot in the summer.
Thanks in advanced for answering many pesky questions...
Troy

Hello and welcome to the site. The only thing I could imagine you could do is find a newt that might be able to survive warm weather, however none come to mind that could handle Florida's weather. Your only other option would be spending a fortune on electricly cooling the tank.

Thanks Ian,
I can keep a small group (3-6) inside and will be making a purchase in the next week. But the garage sounds like it is out of the question.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back