Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Problem with my axols tail

loulou

Reaction score
We were just about to feed the axols and i noticed that one of them (the smallest one) has a white patch on the end of its tail, they are both spending a lot of time at the top of the tank too.
any idears what could be wrong???

Also how often are you ment to change the water, when we got them we were told to change it every week, but have read a few diffrent things on the internet

IanF

Reaction score
The white patch might just be coloring, but a picture would be needed to tell for sure. As for why it's at the top of the tank, its most likely to do with the tempature. Make sure it's under 20. Them being is actually pretty normal aslong as its only once in awhile.
You should change the water by about 20% once a week (in my experience this tends to be enough aslong as you have a filter).

loulou

Reaction score
the white just came up this morning
here is a pic
DSCF3653.jpg

IanF

Reaction score
That looks like Fungus to me, I'm not entirely sure so mabey wait for someone elses opinion before doing anything.

loulou

Reaction score
Iv been reading about salt baths or puting her in the fridge? bit worried about trying this as i am not 100% sure how to do it or if its a fungus
:(

IanF

Reaction score
Like I said, wait for a second opinion on it as I don't have much experience with it (hint to those who are reading this). If it is fungus, I would search the forums as it usually has some tips and gives a general idea on how to go about doing it. Good luck.

Moomin

Reaction score
Yeah mate thats a fungus. I'd do 3 salf baths over a day or so and see how it clears up. Don't worry it's not hard to do :) Do you know hoe strong to make the salt bath?

loulou

Reaction score
haha sorry for being impatient, im just realy worried.
im going to give her some salt baths today
thanks you so much
xxxx :love:

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Saltbath treatment is:
2=3 teaspoons of uniodised table salt/sea salt or aquarium/tonic salt per litre of dechlorinated water.
Make sure to dissolve the salt. If using the aquarium/chunky salt, crush it so it dissolves easier.
Then add your axolotl to the bath - s/he may find it a little irritating at first. Cover with lid. Ensure it stays in minimum of 10 minutes, but no longer than 15minutes.
Saltbaths need to be done twice a day during the week (or 3 times per day if able).
If fridging the axolotl make sure to put the saltbath in the fridge so it's the same temperature as it's fridging container to avoid fluctuating temperatures which can be just as stressful to the axie.
Empty the saltbath after each use and make up a fresh one each time.
You could also try picking the fungus off with tweezers if you feel confident enough to do so without harming your axolotl, a steady hand is needed though.
Continue with the saltbaths for around 4-5 days after all the fungus has dissapeared.

loulou

Reaction score
Iv just looked and i have aqua safe for gold fish? this is what the man in the shop gave me, could this be the problem?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1