Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

newt longevity

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Anyone like to make any guesses as to the longest/shortest lived species and their possible lifespans?

Seems to me Taricha and Paramesitotriton would be the longest lived while Triturus and Notos would be the shortest lived?

slowfoot

Reaction score
My three Notos will be turning '17' in December. They were adults when I got them, so I have no idea how old they actually are. My sister has two Japanese fire belly newts that are at least 19 years old. My 20+ year old tiger salamander died (along with my two other tigers, in a horrible pet-sitting incident) a few years ago. He might have had a few more good years left in him.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Interesting stuff! Are they still breeding by any chance? No signs of aging?

slowfoot

Reaction score
My Notos just started courting again, and they bred last year. So I really haven't noticed anything 'elderly' about them yet. The JFBNs are two guys who are happy just co-habitating ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1