Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

top-heavy axolotl

sa1

Reaction score
One of our two axolotls seems to have a growth uder his chin - it is as though his head weighed twice as much as it should and he has difficulty propelling himself around. He has also developed grey freckles on his face and his gills are a much darker red than they used to be.. He is still eating (bloodworms), but sometimes shoots up to the top of the aquarium (to get a giulp of air ?). I have checked water quality for PH, ammonia, nitrates etc - all OK. Any ideas?

Moomin

Reaction score
Don't worry! Moomin my axie was pure white when i had him. He's got a big black spot on his body and little black freakles on his face. Also blac toes adn tip of tail. Its just him maturing :D

All axies are a little lumpy haha!

sa1

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments, but today poor Ambrose has died. When we took him out of the water we found that he had chocked on a pebble in his mouth. I don't think that this was the cause of his ailing as he has been looking poorly for some time, but perhaps he had swallowed smaller pebbles before, which might explain why he could not lift his head. Should we try having nothing on the bottom of the tank in future? His companion, Ambrosia, looks quite bewildered. (We don't actually know their sex, but they were never aggressive towards each other.) A sad day.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss but there is actually a chance that the pebble you saw in his mouth was the pebble that killed him. I should imagine a blockage causes a slow death due to starvation hence he had been looking poorly for a while.
I would remove those pebbles immediately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1