Where can I buy newts/salamanders in South Florida?

Neuter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Based on what I've read on this forum, I think I want to get 2 axolotl's, or perhaps another sort of fully aquatic newt or salamander. The problem is I cannot find any local stores which sell them, I do not want to mail order them, my local postal service is terrible and I routinley get mail a week late, nothing would survive would the trip.

Are there any stores anyone can recommend in the south half of the state of Florida where I can buy newts and salamanders?

What about catching an amphiuma or siren?

I am only interested in fully aquatic species. My lease agreement has very odd wording about pets, the upshot of which is I can only keep the sort which never leave the water. I do not know of any native species like this.

....goggles those 2 names, both are fully aquatic. Well, how would I go about finding one in the wild? In south florida there are canals everywhere, most are quite vibrant with life but these are aquatic, how would I find, let alone capture them?

I am not exactly going to go to the everglades, it is dangerous to remove anything from there and might be illegal.

Edit: An ampiuma is too large for my tank, they grow to be 1 to 3 feet long.

I think sirens will be too large, except dwarf sirens. They may also be better suited for living in your area due to higher temperature tolerances. It will take a lot of work to acquire one, but this thread has some tips for how to look for sirens.

As a note, it is against forum rules to ask for any animal location data (or post the same). Please do not ask where to find sirens.

The best way to catch sirens is with minnow or crayfish traps baited with canned sardines. You may need to put a large gauge mesh over the openings however, as large sirens will eat the smaller sirens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back