New substrate.

Moomin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Miss_Bikealot
Ever since i've had moomin he's always had sand. I was thinking of havin something new. What would you sujest?

I think you're kind of stuck with it, unless you want to get rid of the substrate altogether or spend a lot of time cleaning between big stones. You might be able to find some coloured sands that don't dissolve or alter the water parameters if you want to mix it up.

I use medium-sized stones and small ones under them. My Lancelot likes to dig and find bloodworms there :)

Oh cool
the stones sound cool :DI might do some stones some sand so he can potter about wherever he prefers :D

I use medium-sized stones and small ones under them. My Lancelot likes to dig and find bloodworms there :)

Not an ideal practice in my opinion.
First the axolotl can dig and swallow the smaller stones and that can cause gut problems. Secondly it is encouraging waste to settle in the substrate which can completely disrupt your water conditions. Bits of food get trapped and rot and this can have a major impact on your axolotl .
I personally wouldn't do this.
I have always used sand in my tank. However if you want to add something of interest try some nice large pieces of slate scattered around or maybe get your hands on some terracotta pots and break those into smaller pieces. I have done this and my axolotl loves hiding under the larger pieces, plus it adds a bit of colour to your tank.
Just remember to lift them and clean underneath on a weekly basis.

I think i'll stick with teh sand now :p

I bought him a new hidey place. One of those resin tortoise house things. He loves it!!!
(don't worry i did ask them and they said it wont affect thwe water:) )

You could try slate. I have some in my main tank with my 1st pair. They seem to not mind it at all. Slate can be sharp so you may have to chip off some sharp edges, but that it easy enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back