Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

filter

superfin

Reaction score
I was wondering what filter I should get, I have a big tank with a lot of water and a small budget anyone have any ideas.And I am planning of getting one axolotl:D

chris:wacko:

Abrahm

Reaction score
Umm... What do you define as big? Most people I know think of 30 gallons as bit while I only apply that label to tanks in excess of 100 gallons capacity. Actual size is essential as the number and size of animals in comparison to the water volume is an important factor to consider.

I would recommend that you read this article on filters at Caudata Culture. CC is filled with excellent articles on all aspects of newt care. Bookmark it and use it often! My personal favorite, especially in a "few animals large enclosure" situation like yours is a sponge or box filter. They provide a lot of surface area to house a thriving biological filter, are low tech (i.e. they rarely fail and are cheap) and even some mechanical filtration.

Your next cheapest option would probably be either a submersible filter or a hang on back (AKA power or waterfall) filter. These have more moving parts, can add heat to the aquarium system and in the case of the hang on back, don't allow a tight sealing top to prevent escapes.

superfin

Reaction score
thanks Abraham that link was really helpful:D and my tank is quite small compared to what you said it is only 18.09 u.s gallons:blush: but as I said I am only getting one.I am thinking of getting a corner filter.

thanks

chris:wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1