Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Peltier-based cooling system (Scheme)

Vivern

Reaction score
Here is the scheme of Peltier-based cooling system that I use. I have 80 litres tank and this system decrease temperature by 5C degrees.
This system is made by my father.

49e4fd3eb45e8dfd73b900f7cfe5f194.jpg

What this system is consist of?
- Peltier element (2 pcs.) TEC1-071060-30 (Imax = 6A Umax = 8.4V Qmax = 29.6 Wt ΔTmax = 60C 30x30x4 mm)
- Zalman 7500-CU LED fan for CPU (2 pcs.) 121 х 121 х 67 mm
- Zalman ZM-NBF47 Northbridge chipset cooler (2pcs.) 81 х 37 х 47 mm
- Plastic lid
- Power supply (Imax = 10A, AC = 220V / DC = 3-20V it's descrete, step = 1V)

Peltier elements are serial connected to the power supply, fans Zalman 7500-CU LED are parallel connected.
Cold side of Peltier elements should be put down and connected with Zalman ZM-NBF47 (special thermal gel or glue should be used here for better heat conduction). Zalman 7500-CU LED should be put to the top side of Peltier elements (special thermal gel or glue should be used again!).
All items are fixed on the plastic lid: just take the plastic lid that covers your tank and make holes for Peltier elements, but Peltier elements should not contact the lid! It should only contact the coolers! We used braces to fix all items on the lid.
Then put the lid in the tank and keep the water level - water should almost cover Zalman ZM-NBF47 fans!

Depends on the size of your tank and Peltier-elements you have, you can use 1 or 2 elements, or even more :)
Good luck! :)

http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/photos/birds/siskin-3069.jpg

Abrahm

Reaction score
Where did you obtain a power supply that is capable of that amperage (10A)? My peltier cooling system (still being designed, but originally intended for a terrestrial tank) used an old computer power supply but that was definitely less than ideal.

Are the peltier devices insulated in anyway against water? It looks like there might be a potential electrocution hazard.

Vivern

Reaction score
The modified old power supply is used in my system. I don't know what was powered by it before, but it quite suitable for Peltier-elements!
I used to use computer power supply too, but, as you said, it didn't give enough power. But it was old power supply for old x86 computer :)
Just searched for suitable power supplies and found this site: http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/1-20v-10a-adjustable-dc-power-supply-by-lm338/ - it's the schema of power supply, I think it almost the same that I use.

Peltier-elements that used in my cooling system have ceramic cases and isolated wires, so I don't think that electrocution hazard is possible.

Also my tank has double sides: looks like it is put in another bigger tank that has the same height. Distance between the inner and outer sides is about 5-7cm. Space between sides (except the front side, of course! :)) is filled by expanded polystyrene, material that usually is used in building works, It keeps tank from warming and increase efficiency of the cooling system.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!