Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

redback diet...new born roaches?

bobaimeleschats

Reaction score
hello everyone! i found a couple of days ago a nice cinereus (redback salamander) and i have a colony of Blatta Lateralis (roaches). ive made a setup for the sal, put it in the basement where its pretty cool, but i wonder if baby roaches are a good staple diet. its high in protein, but as for the size theyre about 4mm to a lil bit over half a centimeter, does that sound good or i should get some springtails? if i should, any idea how i can grow wild ones ?

i did read the caresheet on this forum by the way, i just want some feedback/advices/experience with (if any) :)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the roaches are small enough to fit in the sals mouth, they make a good food. They're a little... 'crunchy'. But in the wild, I think redbacks eat a lot of termites. So I don't see roaches being too big of a problem. Just like every species, variety is key.

bobaimeleschats

Reaction score
thank you Kaysie! i think my cinereus hate some already...does anybody here have any experience with feeding roaches to your pet?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've fed roaches to various reptiles, but never to amphibs. I bet the tiger sals would love 'em!

Jake

Reaction score
I feed lobster roaches to some of my caudates, but I've never tried to feed them to cinereus. I've cultured Blatta lateralis in the past to feed to chameleons, the fresh babies roaches are probably perfect size for a mid to full sized redback.

bobaimeleschats

Reaction score
Hi again and thx for the replies you two! is there a rule of thumb as for the size of the prey compared to the size of the head of the caudate (such as:'' the prey should be half the lenght of the caudates head'') or any other way to know?? because the redback i have is a young one i think (about 2-2.5'' with tail!), so maybe i should try cutting baby roaches into very small pieces...:confused:

thanks for the support!
Fred

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If you cut them it´s possible it won´t take them. I´m by no means knowledgeable about Plethodontids, but i find that my glutinosus will only eat prey that moves. However they can take quite large preys for their size. I think you would be safe offering drosophila, woodlice, termites, springtails, pinhead crickets, and tiny earthworms/waxworms. Quite a variety of things to feed hehe.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They'll eat anything that will fit into their mouths, size-wise. I'd say if it's a little smaller than the width of their head, it's lunch.

bobaimeleschats

Reaction score
cool! it's actually eating these littleroaches i gave her! how often should i dust the preys with reptile vitamin/mineral supplements??

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I fed some juvenile C. ensicauda with baby lobster and blatta lateralis roaches. I think B. lateralis are the best choice for newtkeepers as they are softer than lobsters. I think B. lateralis nymphs would be a great supplement/substitute for FF's when baby newts are big enough for them.

I did mash/cut the roaches in a manner that I thought would mean they wouldn't be able to survive the next molt or otherwise last long enough to harm the newts....unsure if this is necessary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1